Options

sp_updatestats and indexed views

PhennoPhenno Member Posts: 630
Ok, I know there is several more threads with similar topic but something bothers me regarding advice to disable autocreate and autoupdate of stats while maintaining them by scheduled jobs (at least for pre-NAV2013 clients).

Advice was to use sp_createstats indexonly and sp_updatestats procedures at some schedule (daily). But, I found here on mibuso (and confirmed on my sql server) that those procedures will not update stats for indexed views (VSIFTs). Some of those views have stats updated upon index rebuild but if that occurs rarely those stats will be updated rarely too.

So, what are you doing to update stats for indexed view too? Use Olla's script (as far as I know it does cover stats on vsifts)? Use maintenance plan for update of stats? Something else?

Also, I had a small discussion regarding advice to keep enabled sp_createstats and sp_updatestats (async) on nav2013+ version. I must confess that I only partially understand pros and cons for this decision so I tried to read a little bit more on this topic and found some earlier conversations on mibuso and some other blogs/forums. What I can see is that for previous versions if NAV the major two arguments to disable autostats were (mostly from Jorg Stryk):
- too many stats generated due to way how NAV formed queries (cursors?)
- some issues when changing tables with a lot of autostats (limits of number of objects, etc).

On NAV2013+ the large difference is that pages are now scripted as outer join queries. But they still use a whole list of fields and user can still make filter on any available column. Wouldn't we get a lot of autostats in NAV2013+ too? Or there will be less autostats created cause cursors are not in use anymore?

Comments

• Options
    RSA_TechRSA_Tech Member Posts: 65
    I've consistently set clients up with daily wait stat updates and weekly index rebuilds. Thats for NAV 2009 +.

Haven't had an issue with that yet.

I'm doing some digging into the EXEC sp_createstats 'indexonly'.

Id it refreshes on index rebuilds just run a rebuild every weekend.