Moving Servers

rlawrencerlawrence Member Posts: 2
edited 2005-07-09 in Navision Financials
We are discontinuing use of one of our old servers and I want to be able to move our Navision software off of it and onto a new server any ideas on how to do that both on the client side and on the server side...I am guessing its registry changes only for client side...

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I just did this the other day... got a great deal on a great server from www.retrobox.com.

anyway this was for Navision Attain not Financials, but maybe can be useful.

Our database is 14gb.

Here are the steps I took..
    1) Install windows 2000 server on the new Server
    2) attached it to the network
    3) copied the complete database from Old Server To New
    4) Installed Navision Database Server From CD
    5) When it got to the step of selecting a database I had it already on the new server
    6) Installed the Client from the CD
    7)Rebooted, Crossed Fingers, Celebrated!!

then the fun :-s - I walked around to every pc and File->Database->Open and Changed the server name to the new one and mapped a drive to the new server. Opened the client to see that everything works.

Next morning nobody knew it even happened - except that Navision was flying! Thanks to the new server.
  • gjvk70gjvk70 Member Posts: 60
    I would suggest not to change the server name and register its name in you local DNS-server (if you have one). Simply change the IP-adres of the Navision server name in the DNS to the IP of the new physical server and the job is done.

Regards,
    Gerard
    Gerard van Kuijl - United - http://www.united4all.nl