Options

Interesting Upgrade Question

simeon0816simeon0816 Member Posts: 12
edited 2015-09-21 in NAV Three Tier
This is an interesting question that will help a lot of people and spark discussion.

Scenario...

I an upgrading a customer from NAV 5.0 to NAV 2015.

I upgraded all of the Objects and delivered the NAV 2015 Database to the Customer. It has their data in it, from when I took the backup. They are going to test, train, and configure the NAV 2015 database in Configuration Mode over the next month. By the end of the month the NAV 2015 Database will be complete.

Now, we are going to upgrade the NAV 5.0 data with the new Objects from the NAV 2015 database, over a weekend.

How do we retain the Role Centers that have been configured in the NAV 2015 Database during testing and training? We will of course retain any of the Object changes, but I really want to rely on Configuration Mode, and having the administrator at the customer being the Configurator during training and configuring as she teaches. This is a slick way to get the system moving and everybody on board and comfortable. Plus, I want to make as few actual changes on Pages, I like leaving them as pristine as possible.

Would I be correct to think that I just need to copy the User Profile Metadata from my NAV 2015 test and training database and put it in the table in the new final NAV 2015 Database?

If so what are the tables that the data exists in? Also, are there any nuances to doing this, or am I just simply putting the data back in the table via XML port or copy-paste whatever?

Comments

• Options
    NixPtNixPt Member Posts: 19
    Take a look on this, i think is what you are looking for.
  • Options
    That's the one.. does anyone have experience using the export import pages between different databases? Between different versions? I am curious. I am going to setup a few different test servers with different versions of NAV and see how good it works.
  • Options
    OK.... I figured this out. Works great, takes 5 minutes.

Open Role Center in configuration mode, configure.

Export profile and save it.

Open a different NAV database on a different server.

Import profile.

Configurations done on first server now exist on second.