Options

Rename/Merge Dimension Value in 2013/2015

mark_aumark_au Member Posts: 40
edited 2015-09-18 in NAV Three Tier
Hey there experts,

I'm in the process of playing around with merging some Dimension Values for a customer in their 2015 database. I'm following a process I've used to successfully merge other things in the past (Items and Locations mostly), but am curious about the impact of the Dimension Set Entry when renaming a Dimension Value.

I'll use Cronus as an example, here are the steps: for renaming Department 'ADM' to 'PROD':

1. Use SQL Management Studio to delete the 'PROD' Dimension Value - this way all history and setup remains as table relations don't take effect through SSMS.
2. Open NAV, go to Department Dimension Values, only ADM and SALES should rename
3. Rename the ADM to PROD (note - might need to delete Analysis View Entries first!)
4. Review results

Any Global Dimensions should be updated no problem because of the table relations. Where the record is a Shortcut Dimension it should in theory be okay too, all values I have checked so far are okay. The puzzling bit comes with the Dimension Set Entries, there will now be duplicate setups with different Entry numbers, the easiest example to show is:
Dimension Set ID Dimension Code Dimension Value Code Dimension Value ID Dimension Name Dimension Value Name
43 DEPARTMENT PROD 1 Department Administration
44 DEPARTMENT PROD 3 Department Administration
(ignore the name, I haven't updated the name of PROD after renaming from Administration).

43 and 44 are now identical, with the exception of the Dimension Value ID. There are G/L Entries with either value, both seem to work fine with the dimensions showing PROD for the Department.

Now the question is, will this cause some issue I'm not thinking of? Or, is there a process to re-generate or tidy up the Dimension Set Entries?

Thanks,
Mark