Options

Auto Update Analysis Views

spenaspena Member Posts: 45
edited 2015-07-21 in Navision Financials
Hi,

Our financial reporting utilizes Analysis Views. Currently, the view has to be manually refreshed each time we want to run our reports.

Is there a way to automatically refresh the analysis views? For example, if I knew what the stored procedure was that refreshes the view, I could create a simple job in SQL to run the procedure nightly

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    It's not a stored procedure. You can set the analysis view to automatically update, but that comes at a performance price. The more analysis views you have, the more transactions you have, the worse the performance problem becomes, and I have seen this completely paralyze systems. Turning on this option means essentially that each time that a transaction is updated, the system has to run refresh on all analysis views.

It's better to manually refresh them when you need to run them. It might take a minute to refresh, but performance issues are much more serious to have.

Here's how you turn it on: On the Analysis View card, click the 'Update on Posting' button. This will start the refresh and then turns on the automatic update. Done.
  • Options
    einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    DenSter wrote:
    Here's how you turn it on: On the Analysis View card, click the 'Update on Posting' button. This will start the refresh and then turns on the automatic update. Done.
    This button is only available from NAV 2013 on. In former versions it was just the check box on the Analysis View Card and a button to update manually.

I think the question is how important is it for your business that the view is up-to-date? In most cases, like Daniel said, it's not important, so you can update the view in the night, once a week, once a month, whatever. You can create recurring Job Queue Entries (on CU410 "Update Analysis View") to do that.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."