Options

RTC over WAN

njwardnjward Member Posts: 38
edited 2015-03-17 in NAV Three Tier
Hello,

I have been reading about securing the role tailored client over the WAN with the use of certificates. I would be interested to hear from anybody who has implemented this. Are there any limitations to this approach and how many users/and bandwidth etc..

We are currently using remote desktop and would like to move away from this if possible.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Nick

Comments

• Options
    vasilis6669vasilis6669 Member Posts: 109
    Hi,

I can share my experience where navision is hosted in azure using the medium instance and the customer has 8mb with 0.7mb upload internet speed and work fine. We currently have 5 users and there is no delay. We also have a high traffic website that uses navision web services and loads sets of data in miliseconds. I have installed the clients using clickonce deploymet using rtc over wan.

Make yours trials on azure instance with pay per minute and check which instance satisfies your needs. I think the minimum upload speed on the server must be 10mb.

Regards,
    Vasilis Charalambous
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    Hi,

I can share my experience where navision is hosted in azure using the medium instance and the customer has 8mb with 0.7mb upload internet speed and work fine. We currently have 5 users and there is no delay. We also have a high traffic website that uses navision web services and loads sets of data in miliseconds. I have installed the clients using clickonce deploymet using rtc over wan.

Make yours trials on azure instance with pay per minute and check which instance satisfies your needs. I think the minimum upload speed on the server must be 10mb.

Regards,
    Vasilis Charalambous

Can I ask more info:
    What type of server? Shared sql db or sql db + nav server on one server?
  • Options
    njwardnjward Member Posts: 38
    Hello,

We have a dedicated sql server/database and a dedicated server for the NAV service.

Does that give you the required information.

Nick
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    You need to consider both bandwidth and latency. Latency tends to be the larger factor in terms of performance for the individual user. What's needed can depend on what the user is doing. User doing more intensive data entry will likely desire a better (lower) latency. While those doing lighter task may be able to function with a somewhat higher end. I would say you want latency in the 50 MS range as a general rule. Performance will suffer (but may still be usable) as latency increases. As you climb above the 100 to 150 MS range you may find it unusable. But can also depend on what you are using and the performance you are willing to live with.

Bandwidth tends to be more a factor in how many users can you support. Sorry but I've not done any real load testing to provide info here. There is a MS blog that talks about this subject. It was written for NAV 2009 but is still applicable.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.