Options

Integrating Navision With Global Positioning System

alwaysgunaalwaysguna Member Posts: 45
Hi all,

I just wanted to know whether we can integrate Navision with Global Positioning System ? I so that can be done will that be consistent Enough.
I would be very thankful if someone could give me a solution for the above query.

Thanks and Regards
Guna
Guna

Comments

• Options
    Tim81Tim81 Member Posts: 68
    The question is: what do you want to do with the GPS? Is the company moving all the time? Please explain.
  • Options
    ShenpenShenpen Member Posts: 386
    We also met with this - usually, integration is needed to automatically import how much kilometres did the trucks go.

Most GPS systems use an SQL database, so basically the integration would be to export text files and import them.

Do It Yourself is they key. Standard code might work - your code surely works.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    If you have a SQL Server database for the GPS data, you can also create a SQL view into the database from the Navision SQL database and link a Navision table to it and write functionality to process information that way.

You could also write functionality that sends data into Navision through a message queue, or expand on the commerce gateway functionality and hook it up to Biztalk.

It all depends on what your requirements are, what type of volume you're looking at, what the scale of your system is. You should probably get a solution center involved to analyze these requirements in more detail. It is certainly possible to come up with an integrated system.
  • Options
    ShenpenShenpen Member Posts: 386
    That means new tables in the licence - that costs money.

Do It Yourself is they key. Standard code might work - your code surely works.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Hey nothing is free in this world 8) and everyone needs to earn a living.

Besides, with your suggestion you need dataport objects, and those are not free either. I'm not saying it is a bad solution, I was simply making some suggestions.