Options

Vendor (Purchase) Consignments

ShenpenShenpen Member Posts: 386
Dear folks,

I have to do vendor (purchase) consignments for a client. Solutions that start with "create a separate location..." do not work: all the daily business, with their big, WMS warehouse to their many shops is totally based on vendor consigned goods.

Situation: goods are ordered, received. A periodic report of goods sold in the shops is sent to the vendor to invoice it. Then, what was not sold is moved back to the vendor in an automatic way. (I will write program to generate Return Orders automatically.)

My problem is: I receive 500 PCS. Let's say I report 100 PCS sold to the vendor, vendor invoices 100 PCS. I assign the invoice to the receipt lines as usual with Purchase Invoice - Get Receipt Lines (any better idea?). Then the vendor invoices another 100, 100, 100, and 50 which is also assigned to the receipt lines. Then I move back the remaining 50 PCS to the vendor with a custom-program-generated Return Order.

What do I have then? 50 PCS receipt lines not invoiced, 50 PCS purchase return order shipment lines not creditmemo-ed. Furthermore, I might well be possible that 50 PCS receipt lines I have not invoiced are applied to sales, while the uncreditmemod return shipment line is applied from an invoiced receipt line. (I mean inventory application, "FIFO-application", Item Application Entry, not financial.) As many Transfer Orders are done in the meantime, manual application is not possible. It could really mess up inventory value and COGS.

Yes, I could post a Purchase Invoce and a Credit Memo to the remaining lines, but:

1) How would users exactly know what receipt and return shipment lines have to be posted such a "technical invoice", or these line will be invoiced in the future? I can't see the workflow of it.

2) Users would kill me if they have to do it manually. I am more than eager to write programs to create and post Purchase Invoices and Credit Memos, it is very easy, but I have the same problem: don't know which lines to create these invoices and credit memos to, because I don't know which lines will be invoiced and which not.

Do you have any useful ideas? Programming is not a problem, I like to do that, my problem is that I don't get the concept of The Right Way to Manage Vendor Consignments.

Do It Yourself is they key. Standard code might work - your code surely works.