Options

Simplest way to automatically import files to a NAV table?

boywonderboywonder Member Posts: 179
edited 2014-12-08 in NAV Three Tier
My client is running NAV2009 R2 (in Classic Mode only) and I have written a dataport to bring in some information to a brand new table. The import file is a CSV and can be placed in a specific folder with a particular filename every time.

What's the simplest way to get the file to import automatically rather than relying on a user to press buttons.?

He has previously made use of macro programs to do this .. but I want to do this within NAV for him, its obviously better controlled that way.

Comments

• Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Install the NAV Application Server (NAS) and use the Job Queue module to automatically execute a job at certain times.

More info about NAS installation can be found in this How To: How To install a NAV Application Server (NAS)?
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Dataports do not work with NAS. So you'd need to redesign you solution also.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    boywonderboywonder Member Posts: 179
    Ah ok thanks for the tip ... will an XMLport work?
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    An XMLPort will work but you need to wrap it in either a codeunit or report. You schedule the codeunit/report on the Job Queue and it calls the XMLPort.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    ppavukppavuk Member Posts: 334
    bbrown wrote:
    An XMLPort will work but you need to wrap it in either a codeunit or report. You schedule the codeunit/report on the Job Queue and it calls the XMLPort.

i have found that in nav 2009 xmlports can't read csv files in classic environment, but fine in RTC. Is it only me or it is limitation?