Speed Issues (native database)

mickukmickuk Member Posts: 47
edited 2005-08-10 in Navision Financials
Hi all,

We appear to be having some major issues with the speed of our system. The hardware that the Navision service runs on is quite adequate, however with all 30 users that we are licensed to have on the system concurrently working with the software we notice immense slow downs. I believe this to be something to do with the way in which the keys are setup on the majority of our custom tables. Our system database is around 50gb in size now.

Has anyone experienced such issues with 30+ users connected to the native database? What suggestions would you make in trying to minimize speed issues? I know there is no ideal solution to the problems; maybe the developers of our custom tables should have taken more time in choosing the setup of the tables’ structures and keys :-k

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Please, read the documentation in w1w1PerfTGuide.pdf on MBS tools CD...

Key for good performance are keys... you must disable keys which you do not need, disable flow fields you do not need, do not use flow fields on list forms etc... all about you can read in the documentation... it is the first step...
    (you must at first check the HW performance - mainly disks... review used RAID etc...)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • gjvk70gjvk70 Member Posts: 60
    I agree with Kine.

With so many users you will have a lot of disk I/O, so disk performance is very important. Take a good look at your hardware setup: no of disks, diskspeed and probably use cache on disk. Be carefull with the last option, depends on the controllers if this is a wise thing to do.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Gerard
    Gerard van Kuijl - United - http://www.united4all.nl
  • dick11dick11 Member Posts: 60
    30 users should not be a problem.

But what does the application do?
    Did you monitor your application via "Client Monitor"? I have seen lot of problems because we forgot to set the proper currentkey or we had a slow flowfield. The Client Monitor is one way to find out a performance problem.
    Dick van der Sar

www.dasautomatisering.nl
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Your client machines can also play a part in your performance issues. One really slow machine can hold up others even while posting a sales order, and that can have a cascading effect of table locks. I've seen a system with less than 40 users slowing down to a crawl with the latest greatest server software and a certified network that had just been measured through. Turns out they had some very old P2 machines with 64 MB of RAM in the service call center processing sales orders. There is no network or server machine that can work through machines like that.
  • mickukmickuk Member Posts: 47
    Thanks for the feedback. You describe a client monitor, do you have any information on where this product can be located?

The majority of the machines that are running the client are reasonable and should not really cause a problem.

Thanks again!

Mick
    Quite a handy little tool to have. Thanks for the link & advice.
  • dick11dick11 Member Posts: 60
    So, I am back from my holyday.

The "client monitor" can be found in NF itself under 'Tools'.
    See the help in NF.
    Shortly: start Client Monitor, run one application and then go to Client Monitor again and search for things like a lot of "records read" or "Elapsed Time".

You could also start the client monitor and browse through a table by hand. Then you can find easily slow flowfields.

Good luck
    Dick van der Sar

www.dasautomatisering.nl
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    -Check also field "Sum Intervals" in table Session. If the value gets above 50000, that user is using programs that use a wrong index to get the data. Meaning check out wich programs that user is using and repogram those to use the correct index.

-for the rest : most of it has been said in this or other topics.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Thanks again for all of your pointers. Nice to know that people have at least looked into this before maybe after having similar experiences :)