Options

changing length of the Item description field

RuleRule Member Posts: 34
The problem to change the length of the item description is not really a problem. You can change the length of the item description to a maximum of 50. All the objects and the code are already adjusted to a item description of 50. Try it yourself, change the item description to 50 and try to buy,store ,transfer, an item. You've only got to change the requisition line description to a lenth of 50. So all the hard work to change the length of all the descriptions is not necessary.
Realisations are only limited by the borders of imagination

Comments

• Options
    Timo_LässerTimo_Lässer Member Posts: 481
    Sorry, but can you explain me to which topic this belongs to?
    (Please use "PostReply" in the future to answer to an existing topic instead of "NewTopic")

I don't agree with you to your very simple solution. [-X
    Use the Navision Developers Toolkit and have a look where Item.Description (as well as Item."Description 2") were used and you will see that there are many more places have to be changed. :-k
    (Item Translation, Item Cross Reference, Parameters in Functions, ...)
    Timo Lässer
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer since 1997
    MSDynamics.de - German Microsoft Dynamics Community - member of [clip]
  • Options
    RuleRule Member Posts: 34
    Maybe there are some locations where the item description still is 30 but in the most descriptions they use 50 as the common field length so it is in the item/ledger entry- item journals,.... So it is possible to run a complete cycle- Quote-Order-whse Rcpt- purch rcpt-invoice-return order-credit memo to use a description of 50. The item cross-refference and the item translation descriptions are an alternative description for the original one. So it is not necessary to change the lengh it if you don't want. What counts for me is the fact that Microsoft already anticipated on an item description for 50 but doesn't goes all the way. So i'm trying to do it ,but with keeping attention that there is a way back.
    Realisations are only limited by the borders of imagination
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    No I don't think you understand.... They maye have tried to, but they didn't complete the task for a reason: there are too many references to that field all over Navision.

You may have run through your scenario successfully, but that may be the only scenario that works that way. There may be others as well, but it's not everywhere like you said.

It is less risky to add a new description field that you can customize everywhere you use it, so at least you won't break anything.