Options

Hotfix 37221 doesn't give "client mismatch" warning

bknoppbknopp Member Posts: 37
edited 2014-08-18 in NAV Three Tier
I hope this saves some folks some of the time I wasted yesterday. I created a new NAV Service Tier instance, running hotfix 37221. I restored the blank database that came with the hotfix, I created a 37221 Development environment folder via the "copy my 36281 folder and then copy the hotfix items over it" method, I made sure that I could access the new instance... All was sweetness and light.

HOWEVER... [cue ominous music]

When I created the RTC client folder via the "copy my 36281 folder and then copy the hotfix items over it" method, I somehow missed the "copy the hotfix items" part of the process. So when I tested, I was using the 36281 RTC client to connect to a 37221 Service Tier.

I got no "client mismatch" warning, the way I do (and have come to expect) when I use earlier versions. The first indication that I got that something was amiss was the sudden NAV RTC crash with the message "The server [servername] was unable to process the request. Close the application and start it again." and an "Input string was not in a correct format" error in the Application Event log on the server.

Now, I'll admit that I'm typically using the developer tools rather than RTC, but still... ](*,)

I've got it fixed now. I share the embarrassment in hopes that it will save some other folks some head-bashing.

Comments

• Options
    jrenzjrenz Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    we've had the same problem and we asked the Microsoft Support about that.

Here is the answer from Microsoft:

NAV Development Team started a very restrictive control between Client and Server with NAV 2009 (do not remember if this was SP1 or they started with R2). They reverted quickly their mind since the advent of NAV 2013 due to the complexity of deployment and the number of the Client it has to be targeted for.
    The reason that lies beneath has been provided as per the following
    “.. As long as the WCF interfaces (that we use internally – e.g. how we look into record or define a connection -) between client and server have not changed, there is no reason to force the build between them.
    This way, people can only patch the server, IF needed, or the Clients IF only functionality broken is on the clients.”
    best regards
    Joerg