Options

Find data as you type using wildcards

PhennoPhenno Member Posts: 630
edited 2014-09-03 in NAV Three Tier
Hello all.

I'm struggling with a weird behavior of "Find data as you type" feature used for entering data to lookup fields. For example, I'm trying to choose an item from the list of items using a known part of the item name that is in the middle of the name, not at the beginning. For that I tried to use asterix wildcard as starting char but NAV gives me back in drop-down list only items which names are finishing with entered string. It works, though, if I add asterix to the end of the string too.

This behavior does not occur if I use question mark as a wildcard, in which case NAV gives me back all items that have a part of inserted string anywhere in the name, as I expected it should do.

Not sure if this is by-design since the lack of documentation for this feature...

I'm using NAV 2013 R2, build 37221 (CU9) and tested it with some older builds with same results.

Answers

• Options
    Rishi1109Rishi1109 Member Posts: 43
    If it is in middle then you should write *name* or *@name* (if you dont use @ it will be case sensitive)
    Hope it will help you
    Thanks and Regards
    Rishi
  • Options
    What bugs me is that I saw at customer's site a situation when customer typed * (asterix) in front of the string with no asterix at the end, and received list of items with string in the middle of name.

But it would be normal to work the way as you described since it allows you to make a search for names that are ending with provided string (if you ommit ending asterix).
  • Options
    Ok, I found a cause for this behaviour at customer's site.

One of the clients had lower build ID than server's. He's was on 36078 and server was on 36366. Suprisingly he was able to login to NAV but one of side effects was this filtering "feature". Not sure if this was the same when server as on 36078 too.
  • Options
    dave_cdave_c Member Posts: 46
    I spoke to someone at MS support about this "feature" and they confirmed it was not a bug :(
  • Options
    ppavukppavuk Member Posts: 334
    Dave C, you are not alone, I had support case open, then they escalated it to DEV team, and DEV team said this is "by design". The quick filter works a lot better, and i expected lookup to work same, but not a case...