Options

2 day slow down after server reboot

LinLin Member Posts: 40
edited 2005-05-24 in Navision Financials
We are running Navision 2.6 with a SQL 2000 database. The system appears to take 2 days to warm up to its usual speed after a server reboot. Has anyone else experienced and/or overcome this problem ? Is this a Navision problem or a SQL server problem? We are currently in the middle of a 3.7 upgrade - will this still be a problem in 3.7 ?

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    it is normal, MS SQL must create statistics and plans etc. to be able to answer faster... it is standard time to warm up MS SQL caches, execution plans ...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    spycraftspycraft Member Posts: 66
    Hi kine,

Would you ba able to identify if there are any articles in Microsoft KB that state that MS SQL needs time to 'warm up'?

Regards,
    Spy
  • Options
    jesamjesam Member Posts: 100
    Well, it might be normal for Navision, but execution plans and statistics are saved by SQL Server, so this cannot be the reason.
    Anwyay, execution plans and statistics are most important when performing complex queries, but Navision does almost all it's processing of data in-memory on the client and uses SQL mostly just as a dumb datastore. I would be most surprised if these two days of 'warming up' have anything to do with SQL Server whatsoever.
    It is true that SQL Server tries to keep as much of the DB in-memory to avoid the bottleneck of the harddisk, and if SQL Server has just started it's in-memory cache is empty, but it does not take two days to fill that up (unless you would be doing hardly anything with Navision in those two days ...).
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Ok, you may be right. My opinion is based on some old workshop in Navision about MS SQL optimalizations etc, may be that it is old or inaccurate information. But the time for optimal filling the cache memory can be long, because it depend on what are you doing in Navision. And it can take 2 days to make all common processes in Navision... :-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.