Options

Upgrade from 2009R2 to 2013R2 Failing

cacilleycacilley Member Posts: 31
edited 2014-08-13 in NAV Three Tier
I am currently trying to upgrade the data from 2009R2 to 2013R2 using the steps listed here: http://tinyurl.com/m8gxzbn. I am using the data conversion tool provided in the toolkit, but I am running into a problem. I start the process by deleting the objects from the 2009R2 DB and use the conversion tool on the data. I continue the process by opening the now converted DB in the 2013 environment and let it convert. The problem arises when I open the converted DB in 2013R2 and after it converts, and I try to compile the tables. If you are looking at the webpage I am using for the upgrade this is the step where I get the error: (When I reach step 11 part c under the important heading it states:"It is very important that at least all table objects have successfully compiled before you proceed."). When I try to compile the tables I get the error:"Unable to verify table changes. To validate table changes for potential data loss, the specified running server must communicate with a SQL Server.The NAV Service SQL Command Timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the validate operation." I understand this is an issue with the middle tier service but I am not sure what it is? If I am in the 2013R2 development environment and look at the database information it shows the service running, and if I look under tools then options the fields for the DB are filled in. If I go to the 2013R2 administration tool the service looks to be pointing at the correct DB, and I tried increasing the SQL timeout on the service. None of the options of increasing the SQL timeout, making sure NAV is finding the service, and making sure the service is pointing to the correct DB have solved my issue. Does anyone have any other options of what may be causing me to get the "Unable to verify table changes" error? I do not know if it is a permissions issue or if there is a step I missed in the process, that's why I included the process I am using. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    VectorKVectorK Member Posts: 86
    Which Tables are you trying to compile?
  • Options
    Ok, I guess you're trying to compile the customer objects, aren't you.

So, don't do it yet. The first thing we need to do, inmediatly after importing our customized objects is: Sync-NavTenant via powershell.
    After this, you should compile your objects with no problems.

Best Regards,
    VectorK.-
  • Options
    postsauravpostsaurav Member Posts: 708
    Hey cacilley,

Vector is Correct. You need to run Powershell command Sync-Tenant so that table label changes get updated in SQL Database.

It will take some time when you run the powershell Sync-Tenant Command so please be patient.

How to run Powershell Sync-Tenant Command ?

http://saurav-nav.blogspot.in/2014/05/nav-2013-r2-how-to-sync-tenant.html

Let us know if any issues.

** I Hope you are using NAV 2013 R2 With At Least Rollup 6.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurav Dhyani

Do you Know this About NAV?

Connect - Twitter | Facebook | Google + | YouTube

Follow - Blog | Facebook Page | Google + Page
  • Options
    VectorK: I am actually trying to just compile the system tables. I mislabeled the step I was on in the upgrade process, it is actually step 8 part B. It states:"Compile the system tables. You can find the tables by setting a filter for table ID 2000000004..2000000130. In the following step, you will be connecting a Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server instance to the database."

VectorK and postsaurav: I have not gotten to the the step to use the powershell cmds yet. I did try to run the command anyway and got the error:"Sync Tenant: Access is denied. You need to be a member of the local Administrators on the NAV SERVER to run this cmdlet". I am using windows authentication on all aspects of the db and server. The user has public, sysadmin, and serveradmin privileges. I am not sure what would be preventing the middle tier service from building the system tables, it seems to be a permission issue but I'm not sure from where? I appreciate your feedback.
  • Options
    Hey cacilley,

If you are getting error during compilation of system tables - Run the SynTenant Command First.

The error that you are getting during Running Sync Tenant is because you haven't started ISE as Administrator.

Let us know if any issues.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurav Dhyani

• Options
    To Know about Powershell, follow the steps described in Saurav's page

http://saurav-nav.blogspot.com.es/2014/01/nav-2013-r2-introduction-to-poweshell.html
  • Options
    Thank you for your response, I must have not have clicked the right option when trying to run as administrator. I was able to run the powershell commands once I actually ran it as administrator ,like you stated to begin with, but the operation only took a second and it said completed. After that I tried to compile the system tables again and I received the initial error of "Unable to verify table changes". I am not sure if I have configured the middle tier incorrectly somehow it is pointing to the default db instance and the correct db name. I am not sure what else the problem could be, if it is not pointing to the incorrect db somehow since you stated it would take a while for the powershell cmds to run and mine only look maybe 2 seconds to finish?
  • Options
    I verified the middle tier service was installed correctly. I started the upgrade process again and placed the database in the NAVDEMO instance instead of using the default SQL instance. I uninstalled the NAV Server and re-installed the NAV Server pointing to the upgraded db. When I tried to run the powershell sync cmd. I received the below error:

"Sync-NAVTenant : The metadata object Table 2000000079 was not found.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Sync-NAVTenant -ServerInstance DynamicsNAV71
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Sync-NAVTenant], FaultException`1
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer$DynamicsNAV71,Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Management.Cmd
    lets.SyncNavTenant"

I am not entirely sure what is causing this error now? I have verified this table exists by opening it in the 2013R2 development environment. Thank you for your response.
  • Options
    Hey,

Can you put images of Databases Information and the Service Tier here.

And what are the rights of the user (used to run services) on NAVDEMO Instance and on Database?

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurav Dhyani

• Options
    Database Information:

Server Tier Information:

The rights of the User for the Eartech DB on the NAVDEMO instance are: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE(with Membership to dbo_owner and Owned Schemas of $ndo$navlistener and dbo_owner).

The rights of the User for the database(user signed on for the NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) are: a user(with Server Role of public and sysadmin, with User Mapping to Eartech the User is dbo and Default Schema of dbo).

The Login information for the middle tier service is: Network Service(using the same user logged in with the above rights).

I think the above images are what you are looking for? Is there an incorrect privilege I have set up somewhere that is causing this issue possibly?
  • Options
    Try to increment SQL Command Timeout
  • Options
    VectorK,

Thank you for your response. I tried to increase the SQL Timeout and run the powershell cmds to no avail. As soon as I started the command it said completed, and I still received the initial error of "Unable to verify table changes". I did restart the middle tier service after I increased the SQL Timeout.

I do not know what is causing it to almost auto complete when running the powershell cmds? ](*,) ](*,)
  • Options
    Hey cacilley,

Could you tell us the Build that you are using for NAV 2013 R2.

Developer Env -
    Go To Help About Microsoft Dynamics NAV Development Environment.
    Tell us the No on the second line something like - 7.10.3XXXX

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurav Dhyani

• Options
    Hey postsaurav,

The version number is 7.10.36366. Is this possibly my issue?
  • Options
    EgnazEgnaz Member Posts: 111
    Hi cacilley,

have you tried to open the DB from RTC Client. Start will fail with an error, but compile of system tables should work after this.

Maybe helpful: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/archive/201 ... 13-r2.aspx

Greetz
    egnaz
  • Options
    I appreciate the response, but I think my original error was a permissions error. When I changed the permissions of the db and added public as well as giving the public all permissions the original error was solved. Now I am getting another error while trying to sync the tenant using the powershell cmds. The new error is:

"Sync-NAVTenant : The following SQL error was unexpected.
    There is already an object named '$ndo$tenantproperty' in the database.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Sync-NAVTenant -ServerInstance DynamicsNAV71
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Sync-NAVTenant], FaultException`1
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer$DynamicsNAV71,Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Management.Cmd
    lets.SyncNavTenant "

I assume the error means there is already a tenant in the db, but I thought that was the whole reason for using the sync cmds?