It´s an advantage or a disadvantage?

FranklinFranklin Member Posts: 253
edited 2014-07-06 in NAV Three Tier
Hi all,

Recently we have found with other ERP's which have a single database independently the country and different tax localization. Dynamics NAV, however, has a database for each localization. Technical level I see everything simplest and more easier but the final customer often see it as a disadvantage. What do you think about it? :-k

Sorry for my english ](*,)

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Franklin wrote:
    ... Dynamics NAV, however, has a database for each location. ...

Can you clarify this statement? I don't follow what you mean. NAV uses a single database. Is that what you mean?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • FranklinFranklin Member Posts: 253
    Of course bbrown (i think i have translated wrong localization)

For example:

Company A with Spanish localization is one database
    Company B with USA localization is other database

In other ERP´s

Company A and B are in the same database.
    In NAV, company A and B would also be in the same database.
    I see what you are saying. The companies are in different databases because they need different localizations. The localization is database wide. However separate databases also require separate licenses. I see 2 options:

1. Maintain separately licensed NAV systems with different databases.

2. Merge both localizations to a single database and run both in 1 database.

May be others that I can't think of right now.
  • jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi Franklin,
    Franklin wrote:
    Technical level I see everything simplest and more easier but the final customer often see it as a disadvantage. What do you think about it? :-k
    It depends. If "customer" equals "multi-national, many factories" then I would agree with the customer. If it's "only" a sales office in a different country, then maybe not. Truth is, NAV isn't built to handle multiple jurisdictions simultaneously in one database. The moment you have to use more than one localization in the same NAV setup you have to decide what the bigger problem is: handling multiple databases with differing codebases, or handling company-specific coding in one database. With NAV, quite some essential tools are missing in practice (like, for example, Master Data Management) for the multi-company setup. You have to either buy AddOns for it or/and do further custom development to fulfill the requirements. For customers who are multi-national, AX might be a better fit.

with best regards

Jens
    Hi Franklin,

Maybe one more thing regarding advantage/disadvantage: When you need the complexity and NAV doesn't have it in the base product, then it's a disadvantage, IMO. AX is pretty complex compared to NAV. But you can handle multi-national workflows with it. If you only have one site, one jurisdiction, it will probably be oversized.

with best regards

Jens
  • FranklinFranklin Member Posts: 253
    Thanks for your answers...

It´s exactly what you say, NAV is not as ready to work with companies in different countries who want to work with his taxes.

I didn´t know the Master Data Managment tool, do you know any more? It may be interesting to have them present to solve this "problem".
    Hi Franklin,

I dont know if there is a general MDM tool available, but there are some solutions that are part of an AddOn (SITE, or AURELO to name two from Germany), and there's always the custom-built approach. This can involve making some master tables global, but that can be pretty dangerous. The solution is often a mixture of both.

with best regards

Jens