RDLC report with large datasets

Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
edited 2014-07-04 in NAV Three Tier
Hi Guys,

So does anyone have a solution for reports running in NAV2013 with a large dataset?

For example, A/R (and A/P) report with detail, inventory valuation, etc.

If there is too much data, RDLC crashes.

Any solutions to this without writing an export to Excel? Or other work arounds?

Comments

• Torben_Wind_Meyhoff[MSFT]Torben_Wind_Meyhoff[MSFT] Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 22
    Hi Alex

When you run these reports from the Windows Client, the data set and RDLC is send to the client and there combined.
    Windows Client is 32 bit and as you mention, if the report has to many details, you run out of memory.

The easiest workaround is to run the report with C/AL Report.SaveAsPdf(...) (Request Page Save to PDF is client side rendered). This will do the rendering on the server side which runs 64 bit and can handle much larger reports. I have done tests utilizing more than 40 Gb of memory.
    If you don't like the PDF intermediate step, then consider Report.RUN from within STARTSESSION (Documented as Print On Server), which is also a pure server side operation.

There is also a hotfix that removes a performance regression introduced in the combination of Report Viewer 2010 and .NET 4 (Look for New Information since Update Rollup 5: update to the hotfix and add NetFx40_LegacySecurityPolicy to the config files)
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/archive/201 ... eview.aspx

Duilio Tacconi made a very good post about this topic in general:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/archive/201 ... s-nav.aspx

BR
    Torben
    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Like I said, no work arounds. When the customer buys this product, they expect it to work out of the box.

And there's no way for us to tell which report will run into this problem. The "sometimes it will work and sometimes it will not" will not fly with customers.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • sendit2jasonsendit2jason Member Posts: 23
    If it's worth any comfort we have encountered this issue with a few NAV2013 R1 and R2 clients. Really annoying especially if the Reports are NAV standard. However, with document outputs like Statements and Invoices the logo will gobble up memory quickly. There is a work around in code to clear the Picture flowfield after the header line has been retrieved.

I also try to keep my dataset small and remove unused columns.

The other option is server side printing which was already mentioned here, but I'm too familiar with that as yet.
    Jason Bradley
    Working with NAV since 2001

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens” - Jimi Hendrix
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Something else that can be done as well is that all the decimal values have two column, one for formatting and one for the value.

In NAV 2013, you can change them to string using format and it have one column instead of two, but it's still workaround.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Like I said, no work arounds. When the customer buys this product, they expect it to work out of the box.

And there's no way for us to tell which report will run into this problem. The "sometimes it will work and sometimes it will not" will not fly with customers.

When you have clients that upgrades thinking they have the latest and greatest, you're telling me that I have to tell them that we will need additional billable hour to address something that should've not been a issue at all?

This is quite embarrassing to say the least and kills our credibility.
  • jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Spot on.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I had a customer over 10 years ago who switched from his nice customized Cobol based package to Oracle Financials and Manufacturing and spent million of dollars in customization and still did not get all the features of their old package.
    I would have got into NAV far earlier than I did if I had not wasted my time looking for the perfect package.

If you find one, let us know. :D
    davmac1 wrote:
    I had a customer over 10 years ago who switched from his nice customized Cobol based package to Oracle Financials and Manufacturing and spent million of dollars in customization and still did not get all the features of their old package.
    I would have got into NAV far earlier than I did if I had not wasted my time looking for the perfect package.

If you find one, let us know. :D

:shock: :shock: :shock: I don't even know how to respond to this.

So what are you saying? Just shut up and accept it the way it is?
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    What I am saying is all software packages I have experience with have problems. Some worse than others.

It would be nice if Microsoft could put some qualified people on report development.
    It would also be nice if they did not remove a feature that 99% of its partners and developers used, then finally put it back in a form that only 10 to 20% can use.

And now upgrades are going to be easy. I can hardly wait. I am expecting it to require a new way of doing mods, which would do no good for existing NAV implementations.