Modify table with "Prevent data loss from table changes" Yes

nedeljkonedeljko Member Posts: 5
edited 2014-06-30 in NAV Three Tier
what is the best practice for modify table design in multitenancy Nav database?
many blogs suggested that tools-options-"Prevent data loss from table changes" never set to No
but when more than one tenant is specified, it is impposible to modify table design with that option set to yes

any suggestion?

Comments

• JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • nedeljkonedeljko Member Posts: 5
    Thank you
    I know for that topic, I already read that.
    Because of that I am wondering why is important to never set "Prevent data loss from table changes" to No?!
    There is lot of posts which do not recommend that procedure:
    SAMPLE 1:
    (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/archive/201 ... 13-r2.aspx )
    SCENARIO 2 (DEPRECATED):
    Single-tenancy / Legacy mode
    “Prevent data loss from table changes” = No (Manually opted, not persistent)
    IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    Setting the “Prevent data loss from table changes” C/SIDE switch to “No” has been intended to be used as last resource in a pure multitenancy scenario and in Test or Staging environments when partners does not have any business data database mounted against the application database. All other usages that deviate from this statement might lead to unpredictable results and even undesired data loss scenarios in upgrades or, even worse, production environments.

SAMPLE 2:
    https://community.dynamics.com/nav/b/ar ... anges.aspx
    First, let’s understand what “Prevent data loss from table changes” will do. If I set this to NO, I can import my ISV FOB without error. But wait – that’s not a solution. Using that method, if you are in a database that has data and are importing a FOB, you can very easily lose data. DO NOT SET THIS TO NO IN A DATABASE CONTAINING DATA. Just don’t do it! There’s not enough acetaminophen in the world to fix that kind of pain!

Regards...