New Dimensions NAV 2013

Kc_NirvanaKc_Nirvana Member Posts: 146
edited 2014-06-18 in NAV Three Tier
Hello,

I am trying and testing the new dimensions and occured me an question about the new insertion of dimensions.

I am trying to insert dimensions in a new developed table by me and using standard I verified something strange.

In General Ledger Journal:
I create a line
Add 2 dimensions to the line - Nav pass the dimension set id from 0 to a number.
Remove the 2 dimensions - Nav pass the dimension set id from the last number to a 0.
Add 2 dimensions again - Nav pass the dimension set id from 0 to a new number.
Alright by then, but I went to the Dimension Set Entry table and I see that NAV didnt delete the first dimension set id.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Junior Consultant & Developer in Dynamics NAV

"I'm worse at what I do best
And for this gift I feel blessed
Our little group has always been
And always will until the end"

Nirvana - Nevermind - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Answers

• Rob_HansenRob_Hansen Member Posts: 296
    That's correct. Once a combination of dimensions occurs, the dimension set id is assigned and remains forever. It wouldn't be reasonable from a performance standpoint for NAV to handle this differently. Otherwise when you change dimensions on (for example) a journal line, NAV would need to take the old dimension set id (if not zero) and search EVERY table with a Dimension Set ID field to see if there are record(s) using that dimension set ID. If no other records use it, the dimension set could be deleted. Doing this on the fly would be very slow.

I don't know if there is a periodic activity to perform this sort of assessment/cleanup?