Running two NAV 2013 R2 RTC for two different localizations

geniojinigeniojini Member Posts: 4
edited 2014-06-17 in NAV Three Tier
Dear all,
I have two NAV 2013 R2 Servers, one for IT localization and one for CH localization.

How can I connect to these two different servers from one single pc?
Do I have to install RTC two times (one from IT localization installation CD and one from CH localization installation CD)?
How can implement this multiple connection?

Please, can someone help me?

Best regards

Emanuele

Comments

• vremeni4vremeni4 Member Posts: 323
    Hi,

There is no need to install RTC client two times.
    When you start RTC client it will ask you to provide the address of the NAV server in format
    NameOfTheServer:PortNumber/ServerInstance
    for example:
    nav.server.local:7046/DyamicsNAV71

Every NAV Server will have a unique port (in the example above it is 7046)
    So in your case CH could be
    nav.server.local:7046/DyamicsNAV71
    and IT could be on port
    nav.server.local:8046/DyamicsNAV71

When you insert this address in the RTC client it will now to what NAV server to connect.
    You can setup the "System Indicator" on the "Company Information" page so that you cna always see what is the database you are connected to.

You can change the parameter <add key="ServerInstance" value="DyamicsNAV71" /> for the NAV Server in order to differentiate the CH and IT better.
    For example
    for CH
    <add key="ServerInstance" value="CH" />
    for IT
    <add key="ServerInstance" value="IT" />

I that case the adders is
    nav.server.local:7046/CH
    and IT could be on port
    nav.server.local:8046/IT

I hope this helps.
    Thanks.
  • geniojinigeniojini Member Posts: 4
    Dear vremeni4,
    thank you for your help.

NAV 2013 R2 for CH localization and NAV 2013 R2 for IT localization are on different servers.

I don't know if RTC for IT and CH localization are identically.
    For this reason I think I have to install the client two times.

If I can use the same RTC for connecting to the two servers, then I can prepare two different config files:

I search for default "clientusersettings.config" in default folder (usually it is C:\Users\...AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft NAV\).
    Copy it to somewhere - for example to NAV RTC folder and rename to for example "W_IT.config".
    Modify settings file:
    <add key="Server" value="s_IT" />
    <add key="ServerInstance" value="NAV IT" />
    <add key="ServerPort" value="8046" />

Create shortcut: "C:\Program Files\<path to RTC>\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe" -settings:"C:\Program Files\<path to RTC>\W_IT.config"

Now when i will click on this shortcut, it will try to connect to service tier described in config file W_IT.
    And I can create as many shortcuts as i want and at the same time to have opened many RTC connected to different server/db.

Is it correct?

Best regards

Emanuele
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    If both systems use the same build you can also use a single installation with to languages.
  • geniojinigeniojini Member Posts: 4
    Dear Mark,
    sorry, what do you mean with.... "use a single installation with two languages"?

Can I install RTC one time using for example the NAV 2013 R2 "CH" installation DVD?
    And then... can I create two different config files and shortcuts on the PC?

Best regards

Emanuele
  • vremeni4vremeni4 Member Posts: 323
    Hi,
    NAV 2013 R2 for CH localization and NAV 2013 R2 for IT localization are on different servers.
    If it is on a different server it is even easier.
    The address for CH will be something

nav.server_CH.local:7046/S_CH
    and IT could be
    nav.server_IT.local:8046/S_IT

You can try this by starting the RTC client, In the right corner click on the arrow (points down) and go to "Select Server".
    It will show you the current NAV Server address where it connects.
    Here you can insert any address you like. If you know the address for CH server insert it.
    Next time when you click on "Select Server" you will see both addresses.
    I don't know if RTC for IT and CH localization are identically.
    For this reason I think I have to install the client two times.
    There are two things,
    there is a platform (exe, dll), RTC Client, NAV Server this is the same for all countries
    there are objects e.g. Tables, pages, reports, ... in the database - these are different depending on the localisation.
    For that reason there is no need to install RTC client two times.
    If I can use the same RTC for connecting to the two servers, then I can prepare two different config files:
    I search for default "clientusersettings.config" in default folder (usually it is C:\Users\...AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft NAV\).
    Copy it to somewhere - for example to NAV RTC folder and rename to for example "W_IT.config".
    Modify settings file:
    <add key="Server" value="s_IT" />
    <add key="ServerInstance" value="NAV IT" />
    <add key="ServerPort" value="8046" />

Create shortcut: "C:\Program Files\<path to RTC>\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe" -settings:"C:\Program Files\<path to RTC>\W_IT.config"

Now when i will click on this shortcut, it will try to connect to service tier described in config file W_IT.
    And I can create as many shortcuts as i want and at the same time to have opened many RTC connected to different server/db.

Is it correct?

Yes this is correct. You can have as many as you want

I hope this helps
    Thanks.