When I start my nassql.exe, I got an error message in my event viewer saying:

11004,HY000,...,Cannot generate SSPI context

Anybody know what I can try?

Eric Wauters
MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
My blog

Comments

• Alexey_PavlovAlexey_Pavlov Member Posts: 10
    It's normal situation if NAS server account password was updated without restarting SQL, OS or NAS.
    Real programmers don't comment their code.
    If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    It's normal situation if NAS server account password was updated without restarting SQL, OS or NAS.

This was definitally not the case... .

It's actually a move to a new server. I want to run the NAS on a better machine. I install it with the same settings as the old one, but no luck ... .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    and set you up the account for the service as on you old server?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Yep, been there, done that.

Anymay, I'm running 4 NAS servers on a live database, and 2 NAS servers on the TEST database (which is on a seperate machine). The 4 servers on the live environment are no problem, but the 2 other ones are... .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • fbfb Member Posts: 246
    (Sorry for the random notes, but I stumbled across the following item in a 'Known Issues for v4.0' doc, and wondered if it might be relevant...)
    During installation of the Navision Application Server service, the new TCPS (Kerberos) protocol is selected also for the SQL Option of the Application Server. Since this protocol is not available for the SQL Option, the service will not start.

Another protocol has to be selected, but due to an error in the MMC snap-in this is not possible from the UI.

Following registry entry should be changed:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<Service Name>]
    "NETTYPE"="tcp"
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I remember we had big issues with that as well, the nettype not being editable in the MMC console. The default in the installation seems to be TCPS, and that just won't work. My money is on this solution :).

If you don't want to mess around with registry settings, you can also uninstall NAS, and then re-install it from a command prompt (installasservice) using "nettype=tcp" as a parameter. See the installation guide for more details.
  • Johnny_ReggaeJohnny_Reggae Member Posts: 63
    Waldo,

did you find a solution for your problem ?

If so, are you willing to share this because I'm now having the same problem...

Thanks in advance !
    Sorry Jezus (?)

I don't recall the problem that good anymore. We did find a solution, but don't remember what it was :oops: :oops: :oops:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • dsatriadsatria Member Posts: 80
    Waldo,

did you find a solution for your problem ?

If so, are you willing to share this because I'm now having the same problem...

Thanks in advance !
    Make sure that windows time settings on all your servers are in sync.
    Let me know if it works...
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I'm running into this problem on My computer when I use windows authenication. The only I can connect to my Location SQL Server with Navision client is to vpn into my Network. then connect with Navision client using windows authenication.

It looks like sql tries to connect to Active directory get get a SSPI ID.
    So the issue is connection between sql and active directory.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    Ok I've finally solved this problem.

I had a service "NT LM Security Support Provider" that was not running. I started and changed it to automatic.

I opened SQL Server Conviguration Manager. In SQL Server 2005 Services->SQL Server (MSSQLServer). Double clicked and changed Log on as a specific account.

I created a temporary Admin account. Selected that and click apply This restarted the sql server. I then changed it back to built-in account, and clicked on apply.

After several minutes, I was able to connect using windows authenication.

In Navision Server Name. I typed the local ip address 127.0.0.1 and it worked.
    Using the Server Name still gives me the sspi error.

Basically SQL Server changes the authenication from Kerberos to NTLM.

That was painful.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    ara3n wrote:
    Ok I've finally solved this problem.

I had a service "NT LM Security Support Provider" that was not running. I started and changed it to automatic.

In Navision Server Name. I typed the local ip address 127.0.0.1 and it worked.
    Using the Server Name still gives me the sspi error.

Basically SQL Server changes the authenication from Kerberos to NTLM.

That was painful.

This works for me. But did anyone how to address this problem so I can use the servername instead of 127.0.0.1?
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    u can type "localhost" or u use the old hosts file if these problem still exists ....
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    garak wrote:
    u can type "localhost" or u use the old hosts file if these problem still exists ....

No, typing in localhost doesn't work. It will only recognize the IP as stated in the previous post.

What do you mean use the "old hosts file"?
    edited 2009-09-04
    you will need to VPN as mentioned before if you want the name.
    Also make sure the Date and Time on the computer is the same between the server
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

Problem solved!

It was caused by a duplicate Service Principal Names in the Active Directory.