How much is true about no support for NAV2009 from Jan 2015?

Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
edited 2014-05-27 in NAV Three Tier
Heard these news from a Danish partner. 14 Jan 2015 to be precise.

Sorry, maybe it would belong to the Classic forum... but 2009 has RTC as well, and besides the major reason I have put it into this forum is that it would obviously mean that NAV 2015 will be released - as the policy is always support one versions back, so they would not kill 2009 as long as there is only 2013 and no 2015 or 2017.

Frankly I have hoped a 3-4 years release cycle and thus keeping support until 2016-17 (I think at least half of the user base is not upgraded yet and I don't think there is simply enough consulting capacity in the world to finish it until next Jan), so I am not sure how much truth is there in these news.

A 2 years release cycle... I know this is the policy for SQL Server, Visual Studio, but Windows Server is still on 4 years cycle. That sort of makes more sense for ERP IMHO.

I guess I could cope with it, I will be done with some of my subsidiaries and downgrade regulatory changes for the others until I finish them too, but I do know some companies with more subsidiaries than we have who would be in a tight situation if it was really so from next Jan.

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=15944

The current date from Microsoft is actually 1/13/2015 for end of mainstream support. Which would be almost a 4 year lifecycle.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    Thanks! Not sure what mainstream vs. extended support means. The lifecycle support website is kind of geared towards other products. The most important info there is the non-security hotfix stuff. I guess for NAV the important aspect is 1) regulatory changes 2) compatibility with Win 8 or 9.
    You'll find the explanations here: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    That's what I said! That the lifecycle policy website is geared towards other products because is about non-security hotfixes not regulatory updates.
    That's what I said! That the lifecycle policy website is geared towards other products because is about non-security hotfixes not regulatory updates.

That may be a valid point, but Dynamics still falls under this policy. They don't produce updates (including regulatory) for versions that are outside of the lifecycle policy.