Nav License on Server or Database

kmkaotkmkaot Member Posts: 261
edited 2014-05-22 in NAV Three Tier
Dear Friends,

May be it is a basic question, but I need some clarification on Server License. My customer is having Nav 5 with 55 user license but they deployed different companies in different databases but in same server.

It is it right to do this ways.

Customer is only using in few companies and it us very under utilization.(no max 15 user license usage)

please advice
warm regards
KMK

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Well, to start with, if they only have 1 license they should not have multiple production databases. The NAV license allows for only 1 production database. If they have multiple production databases, they need a different license for each.

The "License in Database" option was originally sold as a separate granule. But was combined into the base offering when Microsoft change the manner in which they packaged and sold NAV. My understanding is that this feature was originally intended to support Application Service Provider (ASP) operations. Where several different customer databases might be hosted on a single server.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I have looked into the EULA for NAV 2013 and I haven't found any limit to count of databases you can use. All is just about correct count of users. What I know, you can have more databases, but the license could be only on one server (if per server) and thus it will limit the count of user for all databases on this server together, which is correct.

I recommend to go through the agreement you have from your Partner and look for any limitation regarding that. It could vary partner by partner and NAV versions.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    kine wrote:
    I have looked into the EULA for NAV 2013 and I haven't found any limit to count of databases you can use. All is just about correct count of users. What I know, you can have more databases, but the license could be only on one server (if per server) and thus it will limit the count of user for all databases on this server together, which is correct.

I recommend to go through the agreement you have from your Partner and look for any limitation regarding that. It could vary partner by partner and NAV versions.

I'm going to disagree with you on this, as we recently went thru this exercise with a customer. They wanted to split out several companies to a second database on the same server. In order to clarify the licensing requirements, we brought the question to Microsoft. Their response was that the second database would require its own NAV license.

The EULA talks about the "system database". This is not referring to the SQL system database (master), but rather the tables within the NAV database that "controls your users and financial reporting units". This is what Microsoft pointed us (and the customer) to.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.