what will be the time line for merging objects in navision

southindiansouthindian Member Posts: 247
edited 2014-05-16 in NAV Three Tier
what will be the time line for merging objects in navision? I got some 750 objects to merge in a new database. Our Customer is expecting a Timeline for completing this merging Task. As i new to merging concept in navision. Kindly expecting your advice. [-o< :-k

Comments

• jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi southindian,

well... bad news. Merge must be done with the text objects, and it's good to have the base versions of the source, and the target. There are various methods for merging, some use MergeTool, some others (OMA?), what you hear most of the time is "BeyondCompare". I'm using a mixture of TortoiseSVN and TortoiseHG for source code management and merge tasks. All of these methods require that you know the text source code syntax and its quirks well enough to create an importable object in text format. And you need to know what is not achievable with text merge: Forms layouts have to be checked afterwards, report layouts is difficult and must be checked/corrected afterwards, RDLC content is hopeless. Merging of objects with differing language layers is far more complicated, therefore it is recommended to remove the language layers before merging and importing them later. But this also means certain post-checks after importing the language layers: OptionCaptionML, PageNamesML must be checked if they are complete and the same structure. Also, you could have missing captions due to the merge (new fields/controls).
    Estimating a timeline for the merge is possible for an experienced developer, but only if he estimates the work to be done from an experienced developer, too.

with best regards

Jens
  • southindiansouthindian Member Posts: 247
    Thank you very much for your kind Information! :)