ClickOnce deploy - Internet browser is not installed error

CharlehCharleh Member Posts: 44
edited 2014-05-14 in NAV Three Tier
When trying to open session viewer on machines with a ClickOnce install I get a

"Internet browser is not installed" error

(NAV 2013 hotfix rollup 11 - build 36076)

I can open hyperlinks from the customer card etc - and the registry fix (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet) is present and correct. The ClickOnce limitations page say that the debugger cannot be opened, but don't mention anything about session viewer

is this a limitation of the ClickOnce install or is there another issue?

Thanks!
Charleh

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Session viewer is "part" of the debugger.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • CharlehCharleh Member Posts: 44
    I wouldn't say that it's obvious that session viewer is "part" of the debugger - several of our clients access the session viewer when they have users coming in over Citrix and other remote portals who may not correctly sign out and leave orphaned sessions; sometimes users can be logged in twice (two NAV instances open) using up a licence. Often clients need to see the session list, I wouldn't call that "debugging" - but I see where you are coming from. It would be useful if this was specified more explicity in the MSDN article as it does mention that the mechanism that opens the session viewer is not available, but requires deeper knowledge to put two and two together

After some messing about with a ClickOnce and a standard NAV installed on the same machine it seems that NAV invokes the dynamicsnav:// protocol in order to start up the session viewer. Since this does not work with a ClickOnce deploy it explains why the session viewer wouldn't work.

With just ClickOnce, nothing on the machine could intercept the request to open the dynamicsnav:// url, but after I used the MSI installer, when invoking the session viewer from the ClickOnce instance, the standard MSI installed NAV started intercepting the request (I ended up with two NAV instances running and a pretty confused machine!)

I ended up using the MSI on the users who needed the session viewer. Next time I'll deploy via GPO.
    Charleh
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yup, the ClickOnce is nice feature, but very limited. Really only for "mass users", not for "power users".
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.