NAV 2013 - Amount must be negative in Gen. Journal Line ...

CGChief97CGChief97 Member Posts: 6
edited 2014-04-02 in NAV Three Tier
NAV 2013 error message:
Amount must be negative in Gen. Journal Line Journal Template Name='',Journal Batch Name='',Line No.='0'.
I have reviewed the previous posts of this error in other versions of NAV but I am not sure I follow what needed to be done to resolve it.
Here is what is happening in my case:
Purchasing created a PO with estimated freight charges and received all items including the estimated freight.
AP received the invoice and entered two additional lines to the PO. One to reduce the freight by $25 (a negative amount) and one to capture the prompt payment discount (also a negative amount). These additional lines have both been received.
AP invoiced the the original lines from the PO and is now trying to invoice the additional two negative amount lines. this is the action that is generating the error shown above.
It appears as if we are not doing this process correctly but now that we have started down this path, how do we correct it? We have tried transferring the negative lines to a credit memo (function) but NAV says there is nothing to transfer.
Thoughts? How do we unwrap this mess and what is the right way to process freight amount reductions and prompt payment discounts?
Thanks in advance!
Best regards,

Paul

Answers

• CGChief97CGChief97 Member Posts: 6
    UPDATE:
    In working through this situation with my team, we discovered that:
    1. The PO was posted as invoiced for everything except the adjustments (two negative lines)
    2. Even though the freight charge line had been posted received, we would still be able to change the 'unit cost' amount to reflect the actual invoiced freight charges (prior to invoicing the PO).
    3. The prompt payment discount line of 1% only applied to the materials and not to the freight so this either needed an negative amount line to be received and posted with all of the other lines OR it needed a purchase credit memo (this was our case).

In this case, to get past the posting error, we simply changed the 'unit cost' amounts to zero prior to posting as invoiced. Then we created and posted a purchase credit memo to account for the adjustments. =D>

](*,)
    Best regards,

Paul