Show only specific departments on Profile.

zulqzulq Member Posts: 204
edited 2014-04-01 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,
Am trying to customize a profile that I created new from an existing one. Now I want to remove some departments from the departments list but can't find a way how to do it. I've opened the profile in configuration mode but still can't remove/modify departments.

](*,)
Few years ago we were not existing and few years to come we would be in the grave! So what will benefit us in the grave?

Comments

• zulqzulq Member Posts: 204
    Can someone tell me if this possible or not to show only some departments in a rolecenter?
    Few years ago we were not existing and few years to come we would be in the grave! So what will benefit us in the grave?
  • MonstaMonsta Member Posts: 38
    The departments shown for a specific user are adjusted by access permissions of the user. You cannot hide departments neither using profile configuration, nor through profile page design.
    So you should limit access rights of users the profile is meant for.
    @Monsta, how can I restrict the departments that a use can see using permissions? I know with Nav 2009 I can assign users to departments but can't find such feature in 2013. Is it possible to assign user permission sets to departments?

Thanks.
  • graveczgravecz Member Posts: 35
    zulq wrote:
    @Monsta, how can I restrict the departments that a use can see using permissions? I know with Nav 2009 I can assign users to departments but can't find such feature in 2013. Is it possible to assign user permission sets to departments?

Thanks.

It's not possible, anyway permission sets in 2013 are same as in 2009.
    I have great experience with this usage:

Try to get rid of Departments in most of profile - just DESIGN each role center to be able to do same things as with departments. It doesn't make sense to use role centers and deparments at once (perhaps admin with SUPER permission).
    Let departmens has just for users with super right.

You might don't agree, but this should solve your problem.
    Thanks @gravecz, Microsoft should have at least provide proper documentation on designing profiles to behave as departments etc. I have mapped the user to profile and now trying to figure out how to properly design the role center to meet the end-user requirements.

Thanks.
  • graveczgravecz Member Posts: 35
  • MonstaMonsta Member Posts: 38
    Monsta wrote:
    The departments shown for a specific user are adjusted by access permissions of the user. You cannot hide departments neither using profile configuration, nor through profile page design.
    So you should limit access rights of users the profile is meant for.

I'm sorry, I was wrong :^o Departments show can not be controlled by permissions....
  • thegunzothegunzo Member Posts: 274
    It is possible to use -configuration to remove the department menu from a role center.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd338743.aspx
    http://www.dynamics.is
    http://Objects4NAV.com