How Do I: Change to another database in 2013R2 on a local in

hvdhoevenhvdhoeven Member Posts: 99
edited 2014-03-04 in NAV Three Tier
Maybe a very dumb question...

I have installed the demo installation and have uploaded my licence file.
Now I have created a new database in Management Studio and have restored my SQL-backup.

The next step is how to change the database for use in the Windows Client to the newly created database.

I have googled, but cannot find the solution.
It cannot be too hard.

But please write your answer for dummies, since I am not a techie.
Thanks a lot!

Have a nice day!

Comments

• majormarcell1988majormarcell1988 Member Posts: 20
    Hi,

I think the easiest way is to run the install again and from the Add or remove components choose the Administration Tool option. This will install the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2 Administration Tool which you will find in the start menu.
    If you start it you will see a list of the available nav service tiers on your computer, if you installed the demo that it should be DynamicsNAV71. Click on Edit button and you can set your new database at the Database Name section.
    You can also create a new instance if you want to run windows client with multiple databases.

Marcell
  • hvdhoevenhvdhoeven Member Posts: 99
    Hi,

I think the easiest way is to run the install again and from the Add or remove components choose the Administration Tool option. This will install the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2 Administration Tool which you will find in the start menu.
    If you start it you will see a list of the available nav service tiers on your computer, if you installed the demo that it should be DynamicsNAV71. Click on Edit button and you can set your new database at the Database Name section.
    You can also create a new instance if you want to run windows client with multiple databases.

Marcell

Thanks Marcell, I have already got that program installed, but it does not make any sense to me.
    I haven't the faintest idea how to deal with this program.

I thought I could change a config file in order to access another database in the Windows client of NAV 2013 R2?
    Or change the command line of a shortcut to startup NAV.

Can anybody please help me?
  • besere361besere361 Member Posts: 1
    Hi to all. If I understood, you have install a Demo Instance of NAV with SQL Server Express?

This way don't support full backup and restore. You have to install under a full SQL Server 2012 installation, then make a backup for the database is allready running NAV 2012 and then restore to a new database from SQL Server.

And then yuo must assign this new database to an service tier running on NAV! You can't open a NAV database which isn't assigned to an running service.

Hope this will help you. ](*,)
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Hans,

You do need to use the administration tool to do this. No more playing around in config files or startup parameters in this version.