Options

Application Test Toolset for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013R2

tedl30tedl30 Member Posts: 59
edited 2014-12-30 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

is anybody find on partner source "Application Test Toolset for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2"

Have a nice day
t

Comments

• Options
    lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    No, and I recon there will not be one for R2. The only one available for NAV 2013 is this one.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    ichladilichladil Member Posts: 68
    I have asked the same question ca half a year back and with no positive reply.
    I just do not understand why MS (provided they use it internally) do not provide it automatically as part of any hotfix/rollup/release.

Without test update it doesn't make much sense to base anything major on the test toolkit as the tests will become broken possibly with every rollup update which is quite a bad practice in agile methodologies.

Regards,
    Igor
  • Options
    alex9alex9 Member Posts: 97
    Would it be correct to say that MS just lost interest to this tool and that was sort of dead end?

It seems to me, this tool has never became really popular in NAV community, and partners did not invest a lot of time for creating their own testing codeunits, and mostly used standard toolset provided by MS for 2009 and 2013. Since MS stopped releasing new versions, it looks like this tool is slowly dying. It would interesting to get any thoughts or some new information on that matter.

Happy New Year! :)
  • Options
    jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi there,

interesting topic. IMO this toolset is sort of dead end, but this goes along with the methodology behind it. TDD is / was sort of a "thing" for a while, but IMO writing meaningful, prevailing tests is *hard*. You need to understand the application and the framework very well to make good use of it. We had this discussion in-house, with no good results. We use it sometimes, and IMO it's too complicated for a small team to use it. The overhead in the development process is huge. You can achieve a lot of the desired effects (stability of the product, less "partial" implementations) with a "discussion" and "review" phase of proposed changes. Provided that there is enough experience in the design team, but you would also need the experience when you use the test toolset.
    The desired other effect - automation of testing - is sort of double edged. It also generates a false sense of security. Testing is dull, but it can't be really delegated to people who don't know what they're doing. The same goes for writing tests. When the tests are meaningful and contain a broadband input for the system to be tested, this actually can work. But that's not the reality I have experienced until now.
    There is a good use case for this tool: When you are an ISV and have AddOn products, it is a good idea. But also, the initial effort is huge, and the maintenance is also significant. If the sales figures are large enough, it will pay off, though.

with best regards

Jens