NAV 2013 R2 Multilanguages

kpytokpyto Member Posts: 9
edited 2014-02-26 in NAV Three Tier
Hello everybody!

We planning implement NAV 2013 R2 in multi tenant mode with different languages (UI).
Does application data database collation is important in this scenario?
And what else I need to know if I want implement this scenario? (system locale language, ...)

Comments

• vremeni4vremeni4 Member Posts: 323
    Hi,

Multi tenant mode with multi languages that sounds like fun. :cry:

Collation is very important as it will affect sorting in the database.
    Problem is that there is a bug in NAV 2013 R2 which does not change the collation on the SQL server when collation is changed in NAV.
    (Collation on the SQL server should be the same as collation set in NAV)
    So you have to select the right collation when you create the database or install the latest Rollup 4.
    I never tried to select different collations for different tenants, so I do not know whether this will work.
    Personalty I would set the same collation for all tenants. I would be interested to see whether other guys have the same opinion.

There are modules to install different languages in NAV, but all customisation changes will need to be translated and imported separately.

I think this is all I can think off.
    I hope this helps.
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Different languages does not mean different localisations does it?

NAV is not designed to run different localisations hence it is not nessesairy to have different collations in one database.

Then again I don't think anyone at MDCC has anticipated anyone trying to set different collations within a multitennant system.

All together I think this is stretching NAV out of what it was designed to do. I would think again before doing this.
  • jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi,
    Then again I don't think anyone at MDCC has anticipated anyone trying to set different collations within a multitennant system.
    I still can remember the "100s, or 1000s of tenants for one application" quote from NavTechDays... unlikely that they all have the same locale. So, what's the chance of this problem occuring? BTW: Has anybody got a multi-tenant system in production?

with best regards

Jens
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Why not? If you have a solution for hairdressers in Germany you can have 1000's of customers.

I know that some C5 partners have a multi tenant system in production.

I'm pretty sure it was not intended to run multi country/multi codepage within one MT system. :mrgreen:
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    Why not? If you have a solution for hairdressers in Germany you can have 1000's of customers.
    I know there's one big installation of a franchise food company in Germany that is in this area of "customers". Not sure if they already moved to 2013 and used multitenant to display their business.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."