Options

NAV on Wikipedia needs your help

Johannes_NielsenJohannes_Nielsen Member Posts: 206
edited 2014-02-26 in General Chat
Hi all

I've stumbled on the wiki entry for NAV, and did some changes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Dynamics_NAV

What annoyed me was how specific someone had been about what this person perceived as shortcomings regarding i.e. code fields sorting, Excel export being limited to 5.000 records etc.
Things that are of no problem to avoid...

I feel they have no place on the wiki entry. If they did, the entry would be veeery long indeed.

Well take a look yourself : https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =591453758
Mine are the blue corrections:

If you can improve the wiki entry - please do!

Recently I removed this garbage:
In conclusion, NAV is a Microsoft-owned program that Microsoft has laden with Microsoft products. Out-of-the box it is a serviceable, though messy program. With many, many consulting hours from the resellers who use it as a money tree, it can approximate a good package.
A "messy money tree" of a program... :shock:

Well, considering it's an ERP software with each area design following the same design pattern, as the next - I'd say NAV is a lot less "messy" than SAP that does no such thing.

I've just added a section on Add-ons, CfMD and described the Full vs. Limited user license.

-

I've created a Wikipedia user and added NAV to my Watchlist.

Anybody who has a Wikipedia user could do the same so we avoid grossly biased information, and instead keep the wiki objective and informing of the ever changing features of NAV
Best regards / Venlig hilsen
Johannes Sebastian
MB7-840,MB7-841

Comments

• Options
    cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    Well done =D>

I'm not that into Wikipedia articles review but...there's no moderation for such as these statements?
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    In October 2012, Microsoft released NAV 2013, which discontinued support for the Classic Client. The RoleTailored Client has been renamed the Windows Client. Additionally, a built-in Web Client and SharePoint Client were added. The Web Client does not require any special add-ins and works on computers and mobile devices alike. The report-building and database access that had been previously available with the Classic Client was taken away and can now only be accessed by a reseller (consultant).

the last statement is wrong. customers still can modify the system.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    geordie wrote:

I'm not that into Wikipedia articles review but...there's no moderation for such as these statements?

No thats the nature/beauty of Wikipedia, anyone can come in form the street :)

Hmm...the article as been locked on previously, try to get it locked down again.

Stuff like this jsut got changed:

NAV CfMD is an exhausting quality check of the entire software solution. This helps ensures the quality of the NAV Add-on solutions.

TO:
    As part of Microsoft's business plan for NAV, it mandates that add-ons be 'certified'. This promotes Microsoft's training programs and materials, and limits non-Microsoft solutions.

What is this person talking about? ALL NAV ISV Add-ons are "Non-Microsoft solutions" otherwise it would just be...well NAV? ](*,)
    Johannes Sebastian
    MB7-840,MB7-841
  • Options
    jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Despite the banner "Warning! This article reads like an advertisement" it seems to be that at least parts of it are written by the competition. Not unheard of, I'd guess. Would I write such a thing it would be more vitriolic language :mrgreen:

Nevertheless, it's a good idea to take care of the wikipedia page. It should be information, and not an advertisement, though.

with best regards

Jens
  • Options
    By the way.

If you have added the page to your watchlist, you also have to check "Email me when a page or file on my watchlist is changed" under "Preferences > User Profile" - to receive en email when the page is edited.
    Johannes Sebastian
    MB7-840,MB7-841