DataPerCompany vs Master Table Syncing...

booneboone Member Posts: 23
edited 2014-02-22 in NAV Three Tier
I've been reading through the numerous posts about syncing tables across multiple companies. I'm hoping to get a bit of clarification/advice on this. We have a master company that will hold all of the vendors, employees, customers, and resources. We want that to sync between all of our other companies, which is currently 6 but will expand into the teens very soon. Our vendor is suggesting that we set the tables to DataPerCompany(No).

My idea was to create a form that could be used by specific user roles in the various companies to create a customer, vendor, etc. This form would load the data into the Master Company table, then there would be OnInsert, OnModify triggers to pass the data down to each individual company.

It seemed like the biggest issue with DataPerCompany was with the Items table...are the same concerns held for Customers, Vendors, Employees, and Resources? If so, what is the biggest concern that I can convey to my boss as to why the DataPerCompany is bad.

Thanks!

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Customers, vendors, resources are all okay as long as the posting groups are the same across companies.

Do not share the item table unless you know what you're doing. The costing implications.

I wrote a blog article about this a while ago:
    http://www.dynamicsnavconsultant.com/20 ... ersion-50/
  • ylahotiylahoti Member Posts: 2
    Boone:

Please also consider use of multiple currency and security scenario this will create.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I've written about this many times, and I think it is a extremely bad idea to set the DataPerCompany property of any master table to no, if you are not also going to take care of synchronizing subsidiary and other related tables tables.

The problem is that many attributes of master records look up into other tables, and if you don't take care of synchronizing the records in those tables, you are going to have big problems when you create a record in one company that does not exist in another company. Now you have a Customer with a Payment Terms code that doesn't exist everywhere for instance.
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    I second all of the above.

Personally I just love the property and use it a lot. Most of my customers have a fake Operational company that has most of the master data and sometimes even more which distributes into different financial entities with different currencies.

It is a strong property that is powerfull but should be handled with care and good preparation.

There is not much best practices and how-to out there so it would be best to work with experienced people on the project.
  • allenyyzhouallenyyzhou Member Posts: 142
    I did it by adding a batch to sync. Item and other master tables in master company before, the problem is you can not use the validate when do the sync.(I use changecompany function), And in my old case it is OK, because there are just four masters need to sync.

My new case is I need to sync. Item, Customer, Vendor and a lot of other masters between Master company and local company. So my new solution is to create buffer table of Item, Customer, Vendor etc., and set the Datapercompany = No, let user to entry data in buffer table and then sync. between buffer table and NAV Standard table(do not need to use changecompany function, but need to add job queue entity in every local company to sync.).