NAV 2013 R2 Client stopped working when started from network

Theo_van_de_VenTheo_van_de_Ven Member Posts: 22
edited 2014-02-28 in NAV Three Tier
Server1 is a Windows 2008 R2 Server with Remote Desktop Services on which I installed the NAV 2013 R2 Client.
Server2 is a Windows 2008 R2 Server on which I installed the NAV Service Tier
Server3 is a Windows 2008 R2 Server on which I installed SQL Server 2012
Server4 is a Windows 2003 Server which is used as a fileserver in this case.

Obviously the NAV 2013 R2 database is installed on Server3.

On Server1:
If I start the NAV Development client with the parameters set to connect to the database on Server3, the client runs ok.
If I start the NAV RTC Client from the start menu, the client runs ok. I can enter the url to the NST and the RTC shows ok.

I copy the entire 'Roletailored Client' folder from "C:\program files x(86)\Microsoft Dynamics Nav\71" of Server1 to Server4 on a location that has a accessable share known as "NAVClients" and during logon to the terminal server this share will be mapped as drive P:

I created a shortcut using the P: drive in the target to the Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe
When trying to start the client using this shortcut, the client does not show.

In the eventlog of Server 1 two events are logged:
Application: Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException
Stack:
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.StartWinFormsClient.ParseCommandLineArguments(System.String[])
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.StartWinFormsClient.PrepareCore()
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.StartWinFormsClient.Prepare()
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.Program.Main(System.String[])

And:

Faulting application name: Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe, version: 7.1.35800.0, time stamp: 0x529d02c9
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18229, time stamp: 0x51fb1116
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000c41f
Faulting process id: 0x1a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf2062b630e385
Faulting application path: P:\Client_BE_70_R2_35800\RoleTailored Client\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: f81eb51b-8c55-11e3-8526-00155d02150c

The strange thing is that when I copy the 'RoleTailored Client' folder from the C: location to another local disk of Server1 and I alter the path of the shortcut with which I am trying to start the client to this other local disk, the client starts without a problem.

I looks like a problem when starting the client from a network folder. The startup folder in de shortcut makes no difference.
As you maybe noticed I am trying to start the NAV 2013 R2 RTC client with buildnummer 35800 (Rollup 2)

I do not have a clou why this is not working. For NAV 2013 and older clients it still works this way.
Any suggestions?
Theo van de Ven
Technical Consultant | System Administrator

Rainbow Crossmedia BV
Bosmanskamp 63
4191MT Geldermalsen

Comments

• isaksigisaksig Member Posts: 10
    We have the exact same problem in our environment, the RTC crashes at startup when started for a network drive but the DEV environment works fine. This has worked for all previous versions of NAV until version 2013 R2. We are currently using build 36035.

So I am looking forward to see some solutions for this.
  • defiant701defiant701 Member Posts: 79
    Seems like an issue with "P:/". Have you tried the full qualified path to folder as well?

But I'm also a bit speculating why you even deploy it on Remote Desktop Services :-k :?: .
    Debuggers don't remove bugs, they only show them in slow-motion

LinkedIn
    XING
  • Theo_van_de_VenTheo_van_de_Ven Member Posts: 22
    Changing the path from a drive-letter to a full UNC path makes no difference.

The reason why we deployed it on Terminal Services is simpel. By doing that we can run different NAV versions from both internal PC's or laptops AND remotely when at work on-site or at home.
    Theo van de Ven
    Technical Consultant | System Administrator

Rainbow Crossmedia BV
    Bosmanskamp 63
    4191MT Geldermalsen
  • defiant701defiant701 Member Posts: 79
    Hm strange, I bet this is caused by the folder, or better to say because the folder is not available by the user profile. Maybe you can cross check again for
    1. the permissions of the shared folder
    2. dns entry vs. the ipaddress of the shared folder (\\myservername\NAVsharedfolder vs. \\10.10.10.1\NAVsharedfolder)

hope there is the answer
    Debuggers don't remove bugs, they only show them in slow-motion

LinkedIn
    XING
  • vremeni4vremeni4 Member Posts: 323
    Hi,

Starting NAV Client from a network driver is, in my opinion, very,very bad habit.
    Firstly because it has massive implication on the performance of the client and
    secondly it puts a lot of pressure on the network.
    In standard NAV manual "Installation and Configuration" it is explained nicely how to deploy NAV.
    One of the options is to use Active directory, see this video for more details
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdBOV77NqUE&noredirect=1

If I look at the error message it says:
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.StartWinFormsClient.ParseCommandLineArguments(System.String[])
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.StartWinFormsClient.PrepareCore()

which basically means that some pre requisite components for NAV are not installed or cannot be accessed.

I hope this helps.
  • PhennoPhenno Member Posts: 630
    Regarding Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException, I have just found a cause for this error. I got the same error and after a few days of digging found that the cause was a copy/paste procedure since in that process Windows mark those files as they are downloaded from internet and, therefore, blocks them. While they are blocked, they cannot be accessed properly and NAV crashes with file load exception.

In my situation I was trying to apply new hotfix copied in a single zip file. For me, solution was to unblock that zip file after copying to target computer. Unzipped files are unblocked too and after copy/paste to installation folder everything works properly.