Options

Document report design problems! Please help!!!

miksy123miksy123 Member Posts: 10
edited 2014-01-30 in NAV Three Tier
Hello guys and girls. I am currently upgrading NAV5.0/2009 to 2013 and I am having huge problems with document reports. If I use the "Upgrade Reports" functionality, the layout looks horrible. I don't even get most of data in layout and the part of data I get is messed up. So, I decided to start from scratch (actually, from standard reports :204,205,206 etc.). But I'm having huge problems with multiple headers, footers...with everything...I can't even find out how does the thing with displaying "description-only" sales lines (Type = "") work - when does the description line show and when does the normal (Item, G/L...) line show...and how. Is there an easier way to upgrade these reports? Is there some other report converter? Can you give me some tips, advice or anything that could help me?

Comments

• Options
    kabrocokabroco Member Posts: 111
    There is a converter: Yaveon RTC Report converter , in the Nederlands distributed by Idyn.

(I did not try this converter)
  • Options
    StLiStLi Member Posts: 83
    this is a big problem and actually messed up our companys budget when we had to learn how to handle the whole new report designing.

What i can recommend is taking a look at the reports MS designed in the Basic version of the NAV. But even these aren't flawless in many concerns.

Though I don't have the time to write a full tutorial in here, there are some basic tipps im glad to share:

1st of all: the new report is rendered by a standalone tool there is no data interchange between Report and Navision after the Navision-generated Recordset is sent to the ReportViewer. You can see this Recordset by looking at the page-Info of ther Reports' request form and then looking at the page-info of the rendered report in preview. (if you omit the first page-info it will tell you that you have to reopen the report again to get the recordset) This is all the data you can work with when you're designing the report. You can filter, sort, group, compare etc. it as you like. If you don't order it, it will be processed in the order you see in the recordset (which is usually sufficient)

- filtering for empty fields is very handy when you have multiple dataitems on the same level (you'll see what i mean when you analyse the recordset)
    - grouping is one of the best ways to handle child dataitems. Depends on the recordset though.
    - it's a good practise to Convert Fields of the recordset into Strings before comparing them (i.e. in filter settings): CStr(Fields!MyRecodsetField.Value) > ""
    - Option Fields which influence the output (like the type of the Sales Line) are best passed to the Recordset as integer (i := salesline.type) if you use the text and your report has to support different languages you can waste a lot of time building huge "IF x OR Y" terms for each possible translation.
    - If you don't need the classic layout to work (NAV 2009 only) keep it as simple as possible.
    - setting reasonable DataSetFieldName-values (NAV 2009) might take some time but helps your sanity when adjusting reports you built a while ago
    - The "visibility" property of objects can be your best friend i.e. for hiding lines based on their Type and your greatest enemy i.e. (where is that output gone? have i compared it correctly ?) especially because rather every object has this property.. you can hide whole Tables or single fields.

If anything else comes to my mind i'll edit the post.
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    if in the text "total incl. VAT" the right side of the "T" is somewhat cut off, then merge the left cell with the vat cell, this way you make room to print
  • Options
    clauslclausl Member Posts: 455
    I have just created a product which enable design of RDLC Reports from a RTC page, thereby enable all NAV Consultants to make modifications to the RDLC reports, without even opening Visual Studio.

If you are interested to see a demo of the product send me a PM, then we can setup a meeting. I will show you how to modify multiple reports in a few seconds, and also have the same report look completely different for different companies, but still being same Report object, with no modifications in RDLC. Also Invoice, Credit Memo, Order, Order Confirmation etc..., will all have the same look and feel

If you are not interested in this, I can also teach you how to make the document reports correctly. But this will not be a 10 min explanation, so I will need to charge for this training.

Send me a PM if you want to learn more.

/Claus Lundstrøm
    Claus Lundstrøm | MVP | Senior Product Manager | Continia.com
    I'm blogging here:http://mibuso.com/blogs/clausl and used to blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/nav
    I'm also offering RDLC Report Training, ping me if you are interested. Thanks to the 700 NAV developers that have now already been at my training. You know you can always call if you have any RDLC report issues :-)
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    This is very interesting =D>

Will send you a pm.