Options

Weird problem with Nav4 clients

Trevor_NorcrossTrevor_Norcross Member Posts: 29
We've got 2 clients that are having this identical problem:

They come in, in the morning, fire up the Navision client, and it takes a long time to connect to the database/server. 2-3 minutes in some cases. Doesn't matter if the computer is just starting up or has been on and the screen saver turns off (one assumption was the workstation computers were just not done booting up fully when they were trying to start the client, but this eliminates that possibility). It's always in the morning, never any other time, the first time they open the client. Cannot be reproduced later in the day (ie if someone comes in late). One of clients having this problem is a 4.0 native db server, the other is on 4.0 with MS-SQL db server. Neither company is too big so I don't believe it would be the server being flooded with requests to connect - one is about 8 users (native on Windows Server 2003)and one is around 20 users (MS-SQL on Windows Server 2000). Both clients have server hardware more than adequate to handle those #'s of connections. Neither server is running any type of backup or other mainanence tasks at this time.

Also, this problem is intermittent, but happens more than it doesn't happen.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Trevor Norcross
SharePoint Implementation and Development
Network Administration
Mirifex Systems

Comments

• Options
    KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    It is probably the DBMS Cache being filled. Maybe decreasing this can reduce
    the initial reponse time, but then some other requests over the day can take longer than before.
    Kai Kowalewski
  • Options
    tvandongentvandongen Member Posts: 78
    Do you have a virus scanner? I have the same situation on a test server. IF there is no one connected, nad the virus scanner is doing his daily job, the first time a client open the database it need a few minutes to start.

As it is in my case only a test server, I don't mind, but I've noticed this only happened when the virus scanner has done his work. Disabling the scanner or leaving a client connected did also disable the problem.
  • Options
    jag333jag333 Member Posts: 27
    Check the system for viruses first. Also, if the running NAS, check to see if the server is running both NAS and Microsoft Exchange. If so, reduce the cache size by using the MMC snap-in.
    Jen
  • Options
    KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    You can also write a script ( with VB Script) and run this with the Windows scheduler automatically to start a client early in the morning before the first user logs in.
    Kai Kowalewski