Options

Unit Cost incorrect Nav 2009 R2

adgerradgerr Member Posts: 15
edited 2014-01-08 in NAV Three Tier
we are experiencing a unit cost issue where overnight our Unit Cost went from an average of between $15.00 to $25.00 per item to an unbelievable $20,138,485.96914 or more on the items. Has anybody ever experienced anything like this? it is only on one Item Group and appears to have come from 1 raw material that is in all these items. Our VAR has been struggling to correct this issue for quiet a while now with limited success. This problem goes back to the last open posting date. The vendor has hinted that it may have been something they caused to happen. It appeared after the nightly adjust cost post completion. Any ideas? anybody seen anything like this? i'd like to understand more in order to address our VAR. We are using average cost.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    My money is on data entry error.

Someone entered the unit cost in a different currency or someone entered on the unit cost on the return order and mistaking it for the quantity field.
  • Options
    adriankohwsadriankohws Member Posts: 4
    Author was saying not happening on one item but an Item Group.
    Since your vendor has hinted that thing, let me ask you a question. Are you using the standard Navision or there are some customizations done on the system?
    Especially if customization is done on relating to "Manufacturing", it isn't surprising that the codings screwed up. I have met some historical examples of such.

If without customization, it isn't possible, unless only to one item, yes, maybe as Alex mentioned, could be a positive adjustment that was entered wrongly. Since you identified the culprit could be that Raw Material, check the "Item Ledger Entries" on cost related transactions to see if you can catch something from there.
  • Options
    Thank you for your replies. I am IT and not finance so my information is not from an accounting perspective. I have some more information from my VAR. I was told that this issue began with a Microsoft problem with the Adjust Cost Post job not working. The valuation dates were then affected. The system got into a loop and the VAR's correction messed up the valuation dates and thus the Unit Cost. We are not a standard Navision shop as we have a 3rd party vertical for our business. The VAR is going through each production order within the affected date range and filtering the consumption entries and manually adjusting each bad entry.

The VAR says we are their 3rd client with this issue and they've successfully fixed one. Does this make sense to anyone? Is anyone aware of any recent Microsoft bugs with the Adjust Cost Post? I've looked, but not found anything.

It appears that our VAR is getting this issue resolved, but it's been weeks. I'm just trying to get an understanding of what may have occurred vs. what i'm being told.
  • Options
    KowaKowa Member Posts: 920
    adgerr wrote:
    The VAR says we are their 3rd client with this issue and they've successfully fixed one. Does this make sense to anyone? Is anyone aware of any recent Microsoft bugs with the Adjust Cost Post?
    Yes, there are quite a number of known issues in your version, a costing hotfix rollup for these is available in PartnerSource (Article ID: 2781950) :
    https://mbs2.microsoft.com/knowledgebas ... MWPRRPYTKZ
    Kai Kowalewski
  • Options
    What has happened is when we ran Adjust Cost Post, for some reason it went back to 03/01/2013 and revalued all of our entries and then Posted them to our last open day in November. Why would it revalue an entry back in March? As I mentioned, our Unit Cost are now in the trillions. If there were a bad entry, we believe we would have seen it as our finance department scours these numbers daily.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    adgerr wrote:
    ...Why would it revalue an entry back in March? ...

Adjust Cost did that because there was entries that needed it. Adjust Cost does not look at a date limited range. It adjust all entries that need adjustments, regardless of dates.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.