Options

Uncripple the 2013 dev/classic client ?

absolutelyfreewebabsolutelyfreeweb Member Posts: 104
edited 2013-12-24 in NAV Three Tier
It may be a strange idea to you. But I do suffer from not being able to run my code quickly in the dev/classic client.

I find myself starting a 2009 classic client to run the code, rather than trying to debug the 2013, simply because it feels so much more lightweight and quicker. I need to find the code and don't want to run the code in middle tier. It's sad to think that the versions after 2013 diverge from the original 2009 code preventing this.

Has anyone tried to debug the client itself and knows, are the forms code base gone entirely, or is there like an if statement somewhere to alter, so we can get the forms and menues back ?

That would just be great !

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    It's gone completely.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Yes, they have actually went in and removed the forms code. Told me it was quite a job. 8)
  • Options
    aah, too bad, thank you.
  • Options
    There are many great features in the 2013 for development that I wouldn't want to go back to classic anymore. We have a debugger that works great, I can easily debug NAS and webservice.
    I can actually get out of a function or step over a lines in debugger.
    We have better tools to resolve permission issues.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    well maybe so but classic client is much faster and user friendlier.
    I dont need flashiness, often I just want to test a task as fast as possible
  • Options
    Did i say anything about flashiness? I only provided features.
    User friendly: is questionable. What is is about development environment that is unfriendly?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    oh I do have a wish list for dev env, I can't ask the user to turn on debugger and send me a screenshot anymore, and I cant debug when someone else is debugging in the same db, I need extra stuff to get back code coverage. and client monitor? or when I restore a db, I must go to sql to add the user etc.

but my point here is the testing is no longer in the dev environment. to fire up a screen, I first need to wait for rtc to start, the slow feeling is established then already. then go to departments, then to the list, then get to the screen, then if I want to filter, I need to find the field in an awfully long list.

Im just saying If There was a chance to get back the forms I would be happy 8)