Options

Report Design - edit the source?

Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
edited 2013-11-25 in NAV Three Tier
I can't find an option neither with Visual Studio nor with Report Builder to directly edit the XML source.

(I would not export the file as text and do it there because NAV text imports are very intendation-sensitive.)

This could be useful in certain cases. For example a source file is very well searchable if you want to update some property on all controls that have Amt in their name...

I know that form design for .NET apps in Visual Studio can do this, directly edit the generated code (although not recommended), so...?

Comments

• Options
    Jens_M-PJens_M-P Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 39
    I have not tried this out, and I am currently do not have access to a computer with NAV, but the following should work:
    When you edit the layout of the report, the rdlc is exported to disk - and Visual Studio or Report Builder is opened for editing the file. At this point you can edit the file on the disk with any editor you like. When you save it, C/SIDE will ask if you want to load the changes (same as if you had edited it with VS).

Hope this helps
    Best regards,
    Jens Møller-Pedersen [MSFT]

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Options
    TimoBoTimoBo Member Posts: 30
    In the Solution Explorer right-click Report.rdlc - Open With - XML (Text) Editor. :D
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    @Jens thanks but determining the file location is not easy.

@TimoBo thanks, this worked, I could save it an import it back no problems.

( Too bad we need to use a report designer based on Visual Studio when we have no idea about the full capabilities of Visual Studio :) )

Anyway this could be moved to Tips and Tricks. This looks especially useful for many overlapping controls that are hard to click on (like standard documents).