Options

Understanding/figuring out Posting Routines

nvermanverma Member Posts: 396
edited 2013-10-19 in Navision Financials
Whats the best way to learn about posting routines?

The most logical thing is debugging and stepping through the code or experience. But, is there a better way of learning it. Like is there a book that is written by Microsoft or another user that sorta gives a basic outline of the all the major codeunits, reports, etc that program goes through to create for instance purchase invoice, sales invoice, deposits, FA?

The order in which the ledger entries get created. For example, if we are doing a purchase invoice/payment, is the system going to create VLE first, tax entries 2nd, g/l entry 3rd???

Alot of the users here have been working with NAV for years, how did you guyz learn it? Was it brute force method, where you sat in front of computer and debugged the code?? Or is there a smart and more efficient way of doing this.

Alot of the manuals made by Microsoft are geared toward the user (i.e. how to use the program). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi,

I guess I was lucky... We dissected CU80 in the Developer Course, this was pretty much informative. However, this was in 2000 (I'm getting old, I guess), so it was Financials 2.01B. The basic rules for the posting routines are still the same, but quite a lot of complexity has been added sice then. From there on it was lots of practice and exposure to posting problems, and writing modifications.
    I would recommend to attend this developer course... the current name seems to be "Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 - C/SIDE Solution Development".
    As for books, a good start would be Mark Brummels book, "Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Applicatin Design", ISBN 978-1-84968-096-7.
    However, I would suggest patience on this. It takes a few years of practice to understand the posting routines and the design decisions behind them.

with best regards

Jens