Options

Change SQL Collation via EM / QA.

StyvieStyvie Member Posts: 77
A client of ours wishes to change the collation of their database. Their dba's wish to do it on the SQL side, as opposed to doing with the Navision client.

Has anyone had any experiences with doing this from the SQL side, as i am just a bit scared that Navision might require something different than they do.

I have done a simple test and it seems to be fine, I just want confirmation that I can tell them to go ahead with their work etc.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    PaddyMullaneyPaddyMullaney Member Posts: 59
    If you are using pre 3.7 Clients it can cause a problem, as they do not have as many options to state which collatrion they can use.
  • Options
    FeldballeFeldballe Member Posts: 26
    With SQL2000 it is possible to set up diferent Server collation and database collation. If you are going to use another collation on another database on the server, it won´t conflict with the Navision database. This unless you transfer data between the to databases.
    But you should not change the database collation on the Navision database, it can lead to unforeseen problems.

To give an example: If I restore a native backup from a danish version of Navision 4 into an sqlserver 2000 database with windows collation, then the restore process will crash. The reason is that V and W are identified as the same character when using the windows collation.
    I know that I should never use windows collation, but this is just an example of an unforeseen situation when using another database collation than usual.
  • Options
    StyvieStyvie Member Posts: 77
    Have no established that all they wish to change is Case Sensitivity. This should be ok to do ?

Thanks.