SQL server is no longer responding

jm1jm1 Member Posts: 13
Hi,

I hope someone have a better idea how resolve the problem for my Nav3.70 client users where it always disconnected and having the following error message once it is idle for about 15 minutes.

"The NAV-SQL server is no longer responding. This is probably because of one the following reasons:

* The Server has been shut down, either manually or as an result of an error.
* Network failure has occured.
* A hardware failure has occurred on the server computer or on your computer.

Try to open the database again from the menu bar by clicking File, Database, Open. Contact your system manager if you need assistance"

Thanks in advance
jm1

Comments

• PaddyMullaneyPaddyMullaney Member Posts: 59
    jm1

There is an Auto Close option on the Options tab of database properties (via Enterprise Manager), you should make sure this is unticked.
  • jm1jm1 Member Posts: 13
    Hi PaddyMullaney,

Thanks for your suggestion! But the option setting for Auto close has been untick since the start of our system and yet still showing the mentioned error msg... Do you have other clue?

Kind Regards
    jm1
  • andreofandreof Member Posts: 133
    and the event viewer? No clue there?
    Andre Fidalgo
    My world: Dynamics NAV,SQL and .NET

CEO at Solving Dynamics
    http://www.solvingdynamics.com
  • magaritymagarity Member Posts: 2
    jm1 wrote:
    the following error message once it is idle for about 15 minutes.
    This could be a failure to recover from power management trying to suspend the system because it was idle. Try turning off all PM. All of it, not just screensaver.
  • jm1jm1 Member Posts: 13
    [/quote]
    This could be a failure to recover from power management trying to suspend the system because it was idle. Try turning off all PM. All of it, not just screensaver.[/quote]

I don't think that it is related to PM, because only the Navision client is idle not the whole PC.
  • PaddyMullaneyPaddyMullaney Member Posts: 59
    The event viewer should have some info on the Application log.

Is it always 15 minutes, and is it only a Client Side isssue?
  • rhansenrhansen Member Posts: 1
    Hi Navision MVPs,
    We are having the same exac problem occurring intermittently during the day. The problem started 2 Fridays ago. I don't know what could have changed.

Have you been able to figure out an answer to this problem?
    I've checked the App and Sys Logs and SQL Server Logs and found nothing of note.

We are running Client 3.01.B. Does it make sense to uprade to 3.70 client? Would the database have to be upgraded?

Much Thanks for your assistance!!!

Bob
  • markvandermeijmarkvandermeij Member Posts: 26
    Hi JM1,
    This sounds to me like a PC issue, because of the idle time...
    Have you checked the energy save mode of the client PC.
    Possibly the network card goes into energy save mode after 15 minutes causing the clients to disconnect.

Try to skip al energy save features and disable the screen saver and check if the problem still occurs....
  • markvandermeijmarkvandermeij Member Posts: 26
    Sorry didn't read al the messages, just saw somebody already posted this...
  • arthNAVarthNAV Member Posts: 4
    jm1 wrote:
    "The NAV-SQL server is no longer responding. This is probably because of one the following reasons:

* The Server has been shut down, either manually or as an result of an error.
    * Network failure has occured.
    * A hardware failure has occurred on the server computer or on your computer.
    Hi,

did someone solve this kind of issue during these years?

We have the same problem nowdays, but with a difference in the scenario. We connect from our workstations to terminal servers via Citrix. On these TS, Navision 3.60 client is installed.
    We are not experiencing disconnections between workstations and Navision clients, instead it seems that this issue is between the terminal and the application servers...

Could someone confirm our thought? If so, which is the solution?
    Every suggestion is welcome...

Thanks