Options

data file

Horse06Horse06 Member Posts: 496
edited 2013-09-24 in NAV Three Tier
Hi expert, I have a question regarding the ndf data file. When the sql components for the demo database is installed, I can only see the mdf listed in the database files tab of the NAV development. Do I need to manaully create the ndf and add the ndf below the mdf file of this tab? Please advise! Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    no you don't need the ndf files.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Horse06Horse06 Member Posts: 496
    So does it mean the NAV2013 does not need the ndf file any more? Since we are using the old version below 2009. Thank you!
  • Options
    postsauravpostsaurav Member Posts: 708
    Hi,

No it doesn't mean that NAV 2013 does not need .ndf files.

.ndf files are secondary data files.

Secondary data files comprise all of the data files other than the primary data file. Some databases may not have any secondary data files, while others have multiple secondary data files. The recommended file name extension for secondary data files is .ndf.

Secondary data files are optional, are user-defined, and store user data. Secondary files can be used to spread data across multiple disks by putting each file on a different disk drive. Additionally, if a database exceeds the maximum size for a single Windows file, you can use secondary data files so the database can continue to grow.

You can read more at - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa174545(v=sql.80).aspx

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurav Dhyani

Do you Know this About NAV?

Connect - Twitter | Facebook | Google + | YouTube

Follow - Blog | Facebook Page | Google + Page
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I've noticed that the W1 database has only the MDF file. While the NA database has both the MDF and NDF files. Not that it makes a difference.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.