Options

Create/Update Item No. after Insert

anushafdoanushafdo Member Posts: 32
edited 2013-09-20 in NAV Three Tier
Here is an adamant customer who wanted to have the Item No. in a way he wants nothing else. He is not willing to create it manually too. He is constructing the Item No. in the following way

first 2 char (10) - Item Category
char from 3rd to 6th (1001) is Product Group
Last three chars are Item and he wants the number to automatically increase.

I suggested to have different No. series. But, the way he has combined Item Category and Product Group, he may end up with more than 150 No. Series and, it is a REAL problem.

I suggested to have an additional field which I will programmatically populate. But, they insist that they want this for Item No.

One solution I see is to use a temporary No series to create the Item, and then update/rename the No. field by giving a button. He agrees that he will do this right after the item is created and before any transactions entered. I will programmatically create the necessary code. (I know that this process may also take time to finished as the no of items and transactions grow.)

Can you please share your thoughts and any other better solutions for this issue?

Comments

• Options
    MBergerMBerger Member Posts: 413
    As you already tried, i would try to get out of this requirement too. But if you HAVE to implement it, do not assume that they WILL use the rename-button right after creating the item. I would block the item and make using the rename function a requirement to be able to unblock it.
  • Options
    MBergerMBerger Member Posts: 413
    As you already tried, i would try to get out of this requirement too. But if you HAVE to implement it, do not assume that they WILL use the rename-button right after creating the item. I would block the item and make using the rename function a requirement to be able to unblock it.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Consider the following:

1. Disable the ability to create new items from the standard page.

2. Create a new page with text boxes for "Item Category" and "Product Group" and an action to run the item page. To create a new item, the user would fill in the 2 text boxes then run the action. The system would create a new item record and open the page. The item no. would be determined by the values the user entered plus an incremented string.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.