Options

Dynamics NAV Object Text Explorer v1.0.0.31

AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,496
edited 2013-10-30 in Download section
Dynamics NAV Object Text Explorer v1.0.0.30
This is an updated version of the Navision Object Text Explorer written by Jan Hoek. Since Jan supplied the source code some weeks ago, I was able to continue the development after 9 years.

This version adds support for Page and Query objects and has been renamed to dynote.exe.

Just as with the old version, no installation is necessary, just copy the dynote.exe to a folder of your choice. If you want to uninstall it, simply delete this file and the dynote.zup in the folder.

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1541

Discuss this download here.

Comments

• Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Thx for updating this tool. I'm still using this old gem, almost daily.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    Big_DBig_D Member Posts: 203
    Star man - thanks for upgrading - use this great tool all of the time =D>!
    Big D signing off!
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    Thanks for updating! I am also using this tool daily!
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    How does this tool compare to prism? which is still in beta.
  • Options
    KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    How does this tool compare to prism? which is still in beta.
    Prism has a lot more to offer, but the current preview version lists both Dataports and XmlPorts as an "Unsupported Object Type", which limits its use for me. I don't know if all the parser errors are sorted out now, but I need a tool that works reliably under all circumstances for all objects in all versions from Navision 2.x to NAV 2013, as we are permanently merging objects usually delivering hundreds of objects for each sales order of our customers.

The only crash issue I have experienced with this one is when the drag & drop option is used for very large files, but these can always be imported with the file menu.

Apart from the new support for Page and Query, updated captions etc. there are only 2 minor changes, the "Select a directory"-Window in the object splitter function has changed slightly, and I had to replace the "About"-Box with a simple message window, because there were 2 special Delphi components used in the original application which were not included in the source code files and they are not part of the Delphi IDE which I used for this new version (actually, finding an old IDE that would do the job and also included all the other components used in this tool was one of the most time-consuming tasks in the whole operation, I even had to reactivate an old notebook running under Windows XP for this :lol: )
    Kai Kowalewski
  • Options
    AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,496
    Dynamics NAV Object Text Explorer v1.0.0.31
    This is an updated version of the Navision Object Text Explorer written by Jan Hoek. Since Jan supplied the source code some weeks ago, I was able to continue the development after 9 years.

This version adds support for Page and Query objects and has been renamed to dynote.exe.

Just as with the old version, no installation is necessary, just copy the dynote.exe to a folder of your choice. If you want to uninstall it, simply delete this file and the dynote.zup in the folder.

Version 1.0.0.31
    - Minor bug fix: In the list view, object names with 30 characters lacked the last character. This has been corrected.
    - Hue shift for application icon colours

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1541

Discuss this download here.
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    I have 2 feature requests:
    1. Can you use a different color to highlight the current selected object (in the left window)? It's not easy to see in a glance which object contains the text one is looking for ... at least for my old eyes.
    2. When you search for something, first only the object is selected. The right window shows the source code, but without highlighting the text you are searching for. You need to select "Find next" to find the occurence of the text in the object itself. Can this be changed that, when a new object is highlighted, you also see the first occurence of the search string?
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    Can you use a different color to highlight the current selected object (in the left window)? It's not easy to see in a glance which object contains the text one is looking for ... at least for my old eyes.
    I know what you mean, but currently that behaviour depends entirely on the OS. I haven't changed the coding for that (not yet, anyway :wink: ).
    Under WinXP, the object which contains the search text is clearly visible…

…but with Win7 standard setttings it is barely visible:

It seems that I will have to overwrite the standard OS rendering and use some other colour or make it bold or whatever. I'll look into it.
    Kai Kowalewski
  • Options
    Big_DBig_D Member Posts: 203
    Hi Kai

Hope all is well :D !

Re. 2) When you search for something, first only the object is selected. The right window shows the source code, but without highlighting the text you are searching for. You need to select "Find next" to find the occurence of the text in the object itself. Can this be changed that, when a new object is highlighted, you also see the first occurence of the search string?

I quite like this option now as it informs you what object your in before you search for the required search! Instead of reversing this feature - if you planned to - couldn't it be a setup option instead - i.e., straight to search or as it presently does - indicating the object 1st?

Begging bowl time again!!!!

Could you have a Find Previous option too - so it can go back up the objects to the previous find?

Keep up the great work \:D/
    Big D signing off!
  • Options
    Kowa wrote:
    Can you use a different color to highlight the current selected object (in the left window)? It's not easy to see in a glance which object contains the text one is looking for ... at least for my old eyes.
    I know what you mean, but currently that behaviour depends entirely on the OS. I haven't changed the coding for that (not yet, anyway :wink: ).
    Here is a tutorial on how to select your desired background colour for inactive selected items in Windows 7. This solution has the advantage that it will work in all the other applications too :) .
    Kai Kowalewski
  • Options
    edited 2016-01-08
    There is a new version of this tool available in which I have added the capabililty to process DELTA files which were created by the Compare-NAVApplicationObject cmdlet.
    Until the updated version can be uploaded here, you can download it here:
    http://www.msdynamics.de/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21195#p116614
    Kai Kowalewski
  • Options
    RyckutisRyckutis Member Posts: 13
    Hi, Great tool. What I miss very much in this tool is to export object selection. At the moment it is only possible to export one selected object. Usually I need to export several object in order to compare or merge with other objects..
    It would be great to find this feature in future releases..
    Anyway great tool! Thanks for that!
  • Options
    edited 2021-04-20
    Exporting a selection of several randomly marked objects is not possible I'm afraid, but you can already export all objects, an object spitter is also included, extremely fast too.

Directly after the file is processed, press Ctrl+A (this will mark the whole object list in the right pane, do not click on an object in the left pane beforehand), then right-click into this pane, the little "Export" will pop up there, left-click on this will open the "Select directory" window. The whole bunch of split objects will then appear there in no time (the colour of the marked objects changes from grey to blue when it is finished). Then you can delete the ones you do not need there. I wrote a script for this to do this based on the corresponding objects ( = file names) in another folder.
    http://www.msdynamics.de/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29084

If you prefer to concatenate the split objects into one file you can use my PowerShell script here,
    http://www.msdynamics.de/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24081
    this will use the same grouping the Dev. Einvironment does when it exports objects, so both files can easily be compared without the hassle of objects moving to other sections within the files.

Alternatively, Carsten's object splitter here can also join files:
    https://mibuso.com/downloads/nav-object-splitter-v3.0.0.0

Kai Kowalewski
  • Options
    vaprogvaprog Member Posts: 1,118
    edited 2017-08-29
    Hi Kowa,

why did the update supporting Deltas newer make it to the download section here?

I recently discovered it. I am very pleased that it no longer blocks the text file it opened.

If you ever consider to update it, please add a Search Again shortcut which works, even after the Find dialog has been closed. Most Programs use the shortcut F3 for this (e.g. the Windows Editor notepad or Google Chrome); some use Ctrl+G instead.

More suggestions are
    - Support for regular expressions
    - Filter the objects found by a search on the left
    - Search within the set of objects displayed currenty (selected by a previous search)
    - Search within the current object without affecting the selection of objects
    - an option to turn off displaying the top of an object after 'Weitersuchen' ('Search again'?) before an additional press to the button jumps to the forst instance.
    - do not place the found line as the bottom one in the window, place it somewhere near the center.

I am constantly switching between this program and NAVObjectViewer by Gerd Hübner, which is rather similar, but sadly the free version is outdated and lacks some features found here (and I could not find info about the commercial version online).
  • Options
    edited 2018-01-22
    Kowa wrote: »
    Exporting a selection of several randomly marked objects is not possible
    I have just released the first version of a PowerShell script (NAV Object Configurator) with a similar GUI in which you can do just that:
    http://www.msdynamics.de/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=34594

Kai Kowalewski