Cannot rename items in NAV 2013

asmilie2basmilie2b Member Posts: 122
edited 2014-03-05 in NAV Three Tier
We have found in 2013 it seems that we cannot rename items.
As my firm often has to order items before the correct item no. is defined the process is to use a generic item no. initially and rename later. We found since upgrading to NAV 2013 we receive the below error:
The requested operation is not supported.
Page Edit - Item Card - [OurItemNo] must close.
I have tried running the debugger, but it does not stop, suggesting to me this is not a normal error.
I tried renaming some other master data such as locations and customer no.'s and have no issue. So why can't we name items? Would appreciate any thoughts.

Bruce Anderson

Comments

• asmilie2basmilie2b Member Posts: 122
    I also tried to set a break point inthe OnRename trigger of the item table. Debugger stops at the breakpoint, but as soon as I let it continue I get the error. License issue or something wierd going on here I feel?

Bruce Anderson
  • pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    I guess there is a strange tabelrelation somewhere, that prevents NAV from renaming.
    Try using the SQL Profiler to see where it fails.
    Regards
    Peter
  • Johannes_NielsenJohannes_Nielsen Member Posts: 206
    asmilie2b wrote:
    We have found in 2013 it seems that we cannot rename items.
    As my firm often has to order items before the correct item no. is defined the process is to use a generic item no. initially and rename later. We found since upgrading to NAV 2013 we receive the below error:
    The requested operation is not supported.
    Page Edit - Item Card - [OurItemNo] must close.
    I have tried running the debugger, but it does not stop, suggesting to me this is not a normal error.
    I tried renaming some other master data such as locations and customer no.'s and have no issue. So why can't we name items? Would appreciate any thoughts.

Not a normal error..certainly, when Debugger doesn't pick it up.

Are you using any NAV add-ons ? Modifications on Item page or Item table?

Maybe try creating a new basic Card page and see if that makes a difference.
    Best regards / Venlig hilsen
    Johannes Sebastian
    MB7-840,MB7-841
  • asmilie2basmilie2b Member Posts: 122
    Thanks both for the replies.

I ran the sql profiler, and the last statement that seems to occur is the attached. It would hint that the problem occurs when checking the purchase line to rename.. but this is about as far as I can get in the profiler with my experience with it. In this case though, if it was a bad table relation, how to confirm the exact cause I wonder.

Johannes,
    The error occurs also when renaming an item directly in the table in a test database, so I don't think it is an issue with the page per-se. Yes we do have customizations on the item card, but not code on the onrename trigger except the below:

"Last Date Modified" := TODAY;

Bruce Anderson
  • edersilvaedersilva Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

The same happens to me when I try to rename a type code field with more than 10 length.

Despite not being able to help I believe that if you rename it to something smaller than 11 lengths no error will occur.