Options

NAV server and SQL database in different workgroup/domain

aavioaavio Member Posts: 143
edited 2013-05-13 in NAV Three Tier
Hi

Is it possible to configure NAV webservice with NAV server components and SQL database in different workgroup/different domain.
I tried to configure as such, but when tried to access http://localhost:7047/DynamicsNAV/WS/services from NAVserver configured machine, i get error
The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server cannot connect the Change Listener to SQL Server because of the following error: Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication

[*]please note that i am able to connect to sqldatabase with finsql client from NAVserver configured machine without vpn.

Kindly advise.
aav!o

Comments

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    Some questions:

-NAV2009/2013
    -classic : are you using Windows logon or database logon?
    -Which user are you using for the service tier?
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Hi,

-NAV2009R2 database
    -NAV classic client, we use database login to connect.
    [*]have tried with service logon as local user which exist in both the servers(same username & password)
    [*]have tried with service logon as network service.

My purpose is to get NAV webservice access for my portal.

Kindly advise possibility of configuring NAV webservices with NAV server compoments and SQL database in different workgroup/domain.
    aav!o
  • Options
    aavio wrote:
    [*]have tried with service logon as local user which exist in both the servers(same username & password)
    [*]have tried with service logon as network service.
    Create a Windows user on the SQL Server computer. In SQL, give permissions to that user so he can logon.
    Use that user for the service. You probably also need to create SPN's for that user. For that, you need to check the manual.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    but for creating spn and delegation, both NAV server and SQL server machines need to be same active directory right?

In my situation,
    SQL server is in a workgroup.
    NAV server is in a separate domain.

Kindly en-light me on setting delegation in such a case.

Thanks and Regards,
    aav!o
  • Options
    To be honest, I never tried to do that with different domains (it is already hard with 1 domain) (or even worse: a domain and a workgroup).
    After some searching, it seems it will not work if you are not in a domain (although I think it should work with trusted domains).

If you only need 1 user to connect to the SQL and not different users, you might try without spn's.

I would first try to connect to the SQL server with the classic client using a windows logon. You will need to use RUNAS /user:.......... and run the classic.
    This is something I already do (my SQL Server is on a VM in a workgroup and my finsql client is running using a user of that VM).
    When this works, you can try to use that user for the Dynamics NAV service (never tried this). And if all activity on SQL server uses that user, it might work. If you need different users with different logins and permissions, I am afraid that this is not possible.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion