Options

Difference between 2009RTC-clients if database is localized?

MagfoMagfo Member Posts: 11
edited 2013-04-24 in NAV Three Tier
We just solved an issue (NAV 2009) that a customer had which boiled down to the RTC-client being installed from the wrong source (W1 instead of SE-disc). Can anyone explain why this happens?

The database is using a swedish localization whereas the client was installed from a W1 installation disc. This caused a lot of problems for the end users, which couldn't preview reports plus some other problems. The problems were solved by installing the client from a disc with Swedish localization.

If I do the same on a local (development/non customer environment) it works better, but I still get some differences, some texts aren't translated etc. (You can't choose the local language, only english).This is something I've seen before but haven't cared much about. "Type to filter" not translated isn't a biggie. In the customer case the effects were much worse though.

What's interesting now is that I took some time to explore what differs. And I found nothing!? If I compare all files that are installed I can't find any differences. Versions (as far as I've checked) are the same. File names are the same. File sizes are the same. Client version is the same.

Yet when I use the RTC installed from the W1 disc it doesn't work as the one from SE-disc does. This might be a really simple thing, but it would be nice to know what differs (since that would help to check for discrepancies if similar errors occurs again).

Can anyone say how to spot that a RTC client has/lacks a certain localization*?

*yes, I realize you can spot it being wrong by starting RTC and checking if you can chose the localized language. But can you see it anywhere else?