Options

RTC connection over Wan

GeffGeff Member Posts: 22
edited 2013-11-11 in NAV Three Tier
I have installed Nav 2013 server and Sql server on a one machine and I have installed the windows client on another machine. The two machines are on separate active directory domains.
I have also configured the security certificates as per Microsoft documentation.
My problem is that the client is not able to connect to the server.
error message "The program could not create a connection to the server"

Anyone who has an idea what the problem could be?

Comments

• Options
    staalandenstaalanden Member Posts: 12
    Geff wrote:
    I have also configured the security certificates as per Microsoft documentation.

What documentation are you referring to, can you post a link?

Are you sure that the correct ports er open (maybe check with telnet from client to server)?
    Lars Hædersdal
  • Options
    link to the documentation I used for setting up security certificate:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 70%29.aspx
  • Options
    Excepti0nalExcepti0nal Member Posts: 74
    Can you ping the service tier server? How many instances are running? Have you ever been able to connect to the server? If so have you changed the host name or ip of the service tier?
  • Options
    I am able to ping service tier server without any issues.
    I am also able to login to NAV client while using the service tier server machine(credential type is "NavUserPassword")
    I have never been able to connect to the server using a remote client neither have I changed the host name or IP address
  • Options
    Finally my connection issue is solved ....problem was with the time zones. A had a different time zone on the client machine compared to the NAV server machine...results ---> the NavServiceCert certificate file imported into the client machine set a different expiry date on the certificate file compared to the certificate file on the NAV server machine resulting in an "invalidsecurity" error message. =D>

Anyone who has info on setting up Nav 2013 with with client connections from different time zones. (Take a scenario where you have the Service Tier Server machine and the client machine on different time zones.)
  • Options
    SteveCPSteveCP Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for this post - it pointed us in the right direction.

Just something to add though - I was getting this message where we were trying to access an Azure server from a client machine. The timezone was correct, but the client's local hardware was approximately 6 minutes slow. When we corrected the time on their local server, the error disappeared. So it appears the time itself must be correct (within a minute or so) as well as the timezone.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    SteveCP wrote:

Just something to add though - I was getting this message where we were trying to access an Azure server from a client machine. The timezone was correct, but the client's local hardware was approximately 6 minutes slow. When we corrected the time on their local server, the error disappeared. So it appears the time itself must be correct (within a minute or so) as well as the timezone.

Hope this helps!

Thanx Steve for the additional info. This is valuable info.
    \:D/
  • Options
    roytseroytse Member Posts: 8
    SteveCP wrote:

Hope this helps!
    Is it same to 2009?
    I have tried to make RTC 2009 over WAN, i found that the system clock of Server and Client must be same or within around 5 mins different. otherwise, you cannot login into the server due to the WCF algorithm.
  • Options
    roytse wrote:
    SteveCP wrote:

Hope this helps!
    Is it same to 2009?
    I have tried to make RTC 2009 over WAN, i found that the system clock of Server and Client must be same or within around 5 mins different. otherwise, you cannot login into the server due to the WCF algorithm.

I have not worked with RTC 2009, so I may not be the best person to give a clear answer on that, but I feel that the concept should be the same.

Someone who has configured RTC 2009 should shade more light for us.
  • Options
    I am trialing to connect a client machine to NAV2013 R2 instannce over wan through use of NavUserPassword Credential Type.
    Authentication is going through but then, no NAV page is displayed after the login. I only get an empty login form.

Checking on the event log: I get the following message: "Server instance: DynamicsNAV71: A user successfully authenticated against the server."