Options

Bank Reconciliation Confusion - Enlightement urgently needed

oleschjoetholeschjoeth Member Posts: 74
](*,)
Hi,

We are about to reconcile our bank account for the first time in our 3.70 US version. We try to follow the instructions from the online help but are getting extremely confused. The "Suggest Lines" function work ok but then the fun stops. We are unable to delete or add lines in the Check - and Deposits/Transfers window as described in the help (see below)

Can anyone enlighten this somber area?
Best regards,
Ole
Correcting Bank Reconciliation Lines
Once you have filled in the bank account reconciliation header and lines, you must compare the suggested lines with the transactions on the bank’s statement. If the reconciliation lines do not agree with the bank statement, you must correct the lines.

To Correct Bank Reconciliation Lines:
Click General Ledger, Periodic Activities, Bank Account Reconciliations.

Select any lines that appear on the reconciliation lines but do not appear on the bank statement, and press Delete. Click OK to delete.

Enter a new line with any transaction from the bank statement that does not appear on the reconciliation lines.

Enter a new line with interest or fees from the bank statement.

The Difference field now shows the amounts from any new entries created in steps 2 and 3, because they have not been applied to bank ledger entries for the bank account yet. The ledger entries that were suggested by the program were automatically applied to. Therefore, the Difference field contains 0 for these entries.

It is not possible to post the bank reconciliation unless the sum of the contents of the Statement Ending Balance field is equal to the contents of the Total Balance field. To get these to balance, you must apply entries.

Comments

• Options
    Stefan_VerweyStefan_Verwey Member Posts: 18
    Hi Ole

I enjoy the bank recon system very much. Made a few simple changes to improve simplicity.
    I strongly recommend that all transactions get done in Jnls. I am not keen on creating txns in the recon and to post it back to Jnls.
    If a txns does not occur in a recon, go back and do it in the Jnl and use suggest line to pull the new txns into the recon.
    Do yourself a favour and avoid at all cost at all times the differences. This create confusion like nothing else.

Keep it plain and simple and your results will be very clean.

Suggestion 2
    Create a dedicated Recurring linked into a certain bank acc for monthly debit orders and sundries like bank charges etc.
    Use the %4 after the description in Recurring Jnls for recurring expense transactions, the auditor's life will be easier as well.
    Create dedicated GL Jnls dedicated to post Bal Acc to certain defined Bank Acc. Only post the debit expenses and auto post the Bal Acc's credit to the defined Bank Acc.
    Do Cust Receipts via the S&R module's cash receipt Jnl
    Do Vendor Payments via the P&P module's Vendor Pmnt Jnl.
    This will improve your traceability and easier Txns source recognition

Suggestion 3 (what I had done to simplify bank recons)
    Add a new field on the bank recon table to host a boolean "tick mark" to flag when a transaction had been also marked as reconed on the External Bank Statement Document, also ticked.
    An old habit to tick the entered txn to the ext doc, from Acc & Audit article days.

You will enjoy doing bank recons more like me!

Regards
    Stefan Verwey
  • Options
    Stefan,
    Thank you very much for your reply. :) We do perform all our transactions in journals. The main problem is if not all lines suggested are to be reconciled. E.g. some checks to vendors have been issued through the Payment Journal but does not appear on the bank statement currently being reconciled. These checks should then be removed from the check lines suggested. That is our brick wall right now ](*,) :?
    Select any lines that appear on the reconciliation lines but do not appear on the bank statement, and press Delete. Click OK to delete.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    when I hit the delete key (once a line has been selected) It deletes the suggested entry without a problem.

you can't delete ANY lines?
  • Options
    Stefan_VerweyStefan_Verwey Member Posts: 18
    Hi Ole

It sounds to me that you need to void some checks issued to Vendors, but should in fact be reveresed as they had not reached the Vendor(s).
    You need to follow the normal path to void those checks issued.

Those entres that appear in the bank recon, that should only appear on the next bank statement page's recon process, should you just delete from the bank recon as the suggest lines might bring in many entries onto the recon that only applies to later recon(s). F4 or Delete those lines selected.

Bank recons are fun, just keep it plain and simple.
    Follow always uncomplicated and logical paths.

Regards
    Stefan Verwey
  • Options
    Hello Savatage,

Yes, it is correct that I can not delete any lines from neither the checks nor deposits/transfers subforms using the Delete key as explained in the online help. However, I just discovered that lines can be deleted using the Clear Lines function. (very far from the help explanation) That leads to my next question: How can I add lines as explained in the online help?

The version is 3.70 US - SQL

Thanks,
    Ole
    :)
  • Options
    aciaci Member Posts: 41
    Just a guess. This sound like as if the user does not have enough permissions to delete the lines. I am not sure if there are options that control these permissions, if they exit.

Some NSC's can add code that is not in standard Navision that would deny deleting lines except for specific users or groups. Try to look for documentation about that in the communication between your company and both NSC's.

In case they made custom permissions, they may have made a custom form to allow you to set these options. Go to the object designer and look for forms with ID in the range 50000-50999. If you find a form that you think is related to this, click it and then click Run, this would open the form so you can see it.

I recommend that you copy&paste from the object designer Bank Reconciliation forms (ID's 379-388) and post them here so we can see if there was a match with any of the standard versions. This would tell if the NSC modified them or not.

I didn't use Bank Reconciliation, nor I set it up, so I don't know how it works. I hope others would give more suggestions than what I came up with here.

Good Luck...