Options

Change License in RTC NAV 2013

krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,089
edited 2013-04-22 in NAV Three Tier
I am searching to change the license in NAV2013 like in the classic client.
The only post I found is this http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=46080
Is there any update on it?

The only way we found is to create an extra servicetier in standby on the server of a customer.
When we need to use our license, we upload our license, start this extra servicetier, start the Windows client and then upload again the customers license.

Is there a better way?
I also checked the startup-options of the windows client in the hope there was a parameter to use a certain license file, but there isn't.
Regards,Alain Krikilion
No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Comments

• Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Does not look like it.

I found that even if you use the option Save License in Database, the service tier will not recognize the license saved in the database. The license has to be uploaded to the whole server in order for the service tier to pick up the license.

:thumbsdown:
  • Options
    ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Does this mean the service tier catches the license file from the location of the exe file, not from the db?
    Thomas
  • Options
    Alex Chow wrote:
    I found that even if you use the option Save License in Database, the service tier will not recognize the license saved in the database. The license has to be uploaded to the whole server in order for the service tier to pick up the license.
    Actually, even if you upload the license for the whole server (so "Save license in Database"=false), the service tier does not pick it up (I didn't try waiting a few minutes to see if the server picked it up). So, the only way is to restart the service tier.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    ta5 wrote:
    Does this mean the service tier catches the license file from the location of the exe file, not from the db?
    Thomas
    Meaning, the service tier takes the uploaded license (uploaded in the master DB or the current NAV-db, depending on the toggle "Save license in Database"-value for that DB).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    kriki wrote:
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Actually, even if you upload the license for the whole server (so "Save license in Database"=false), the service tier does not pick it up (I didn't try waiting a few minutes to see if the server picked it up). So, the only way is to restart the service tier.

This process makes developing or changing data in the client environment impossible. Terrible!!! :thumbsdown:
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    When I want to correct data in customer systems I always use T-SQL. Nothing else.

For bigger releases I save a SQL script to be executed before and after importing the fob file.
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Another option is to give a codeunit indirect permissions and use that to make changes.
    More work than the old way, but if it is more than a quick fix, could be a good option.

Maybe Microsoft wanted to limit the developer channel quick fixes - or maybe they just did not think about it.

It would be nice if they let us edit table data again with a developers license.
  • Options
    I think they just forgot. But to be honest, I never missed the run table feature in NAV2013. I got used to query the data directly in SQL years ago.
  • Options
    It's a big inconvenience for solution centers that have 2009 and 2013 on their server.

Yes, you can virtualize and everything, but it's an extra step that shouldn't be necessary.
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    If you get your license updated, you can use the same license on 2013 and 2009.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    :shock:

I thought the license for NAV2013 and anything pre 2013 were not compatible?
  • Options
    not anymore.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    since2002since2002 Member Posts: 25
    In response to: This process makes developing or changing data in the client environment impossible. Terrible!!!

We currently work with customers only through RTC 2009. I have accepted the fact that classic reports COMPLETELY go away in the next version but how have programmers adapted to the loss of losing the ability to RUN a table in object designer and RUN reports to do mass amounts of updating to tables (with complete table validation). After 10 years of working for a solution center we have accumulated a vast amount of dataports, one time only reports etc that save hours of work. Writing a SQL script to get a General Journal or Item Journal loaded with all the required table validation is not as easy as using existing dataports. Is there another forum that deals specifically with the true aches and pains of trying to leave the past ( pre 2013) behind.

EJF
  • Options
    You can still run correction reports the same way as in older versions. It will look for an open session of the RTC and/or start a new session and run the report.

The same way with tables.

If correcting data is one of the most important features for you, then might I humbly suggest to look at the general quality of how people use NAV in your organisation?

When data correction is required, my recomendation is to ALWAYS write a report or a script. Never change data via the table designer/run table. The benefit of using a report or script is backwards traceability of what was done with what filters.

Hope not to have hurt anyones feelings.
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I have had to fix messed up transfer orders where the tracking information either need to be corrected or added.
    Since some of the fields that should be option fields are not, the easiest way to correct or add the information is thru editing the table. I could do that in SQL Server, but it is easier in NAV.
    As long as there are weird bugs - some of them Microsoft's - there will need to be table data fixes.
    The good news is the number of data bugs seem to be going down as Microsoft fixes them.
    These types of bugs usually happen in the most complex parts of NAV, and I have spent many happy hours with Microsoft support fixing them. One of my customers has made major contributions in uncovering weird bugs - primarily in manufacturing costing. ](*,)
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    One of the first lessons (years ago) was how to change the license. Is there a links or page reference to the official way?

This tip with a second tier looks doable but new users logging in will use the wrong license then?
  • Options
    new users will not be using the new license.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    ara3n wrote:
    new users will not be using the new license.

ok, I think because the first tier is still using the original license at start of the first tier.
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    When I want to correct data in customer systems I always use T-SQL. Nothing else.

For bigger releases I save a SQL script to be executed before and after importing the fob file.

Hi Mark,

Just did it the SQL way and was dumbfounded because the NAV report was still wrong. Finally OK after I restarted the service. Apparently the service is caching data for reports or for the client in general! I suppose when we update data properly through the client it tells the service to update the cache as well. But it means it is more dangerous now to change data in SQL because until the service is restarted the client accesses an inconsistent, cached state.

• Options
    It is enough to do a SELECTLATESTVERSION; to get the latest info.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion